Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Top Pair on Monotone Flop, What\'s a Good Line?

UTG is mostly loose passive (45/3 after 80+ hands), but I saw him limp reraise with 55, so I still haven't made up my mind on him.

CO is basically horrible, and a welcome addition to any 2+2er's table. LP-P.

Flop: I think I just need to lead this flop. A CR isn't very plausible because of my position and the fact that CO is so passive.

Turn: After playing the flop like a turd, I figured I'd lead any non-spade brick. Should I just lead or go for a CR? I felt UTG was capable of firing a bet on the flop with a flush draw and I didn't want this checked thru.

OK. I lead. Whoops. Now I'm raised. Easy fold?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, CO calls, SB folds, Hero .....
Old 01-24-2005, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Top Pair on Monotone Flop, What\'s a Good Line?

Check/Fold the flop :
small pot, out of position, VERY scary board, lots of ways that you are either beat now or will be beat by showdown...

Wait for a better spot to get my money in. Not to say that u shud always give up top pair on a monochrome flop, but this I think is one of the situations where there are lots of risk and not much reward.

Play Well!
[img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]The Ugly One [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

A Fish and His Chips are Soon Parted!
Old 01-24-2005, 02:43 PM

I would say bet the flop, call one raise, then lead the turn depending on opponent. If raised again you can probably fold.

NT
Old 01-24-2005, 07:32 PM

Trying hard to ask "why do you suggest a raise and then lead out on the flop" without sounding challenging. I don't understand why this would be correct but would like to learn. You saw my suggestion and I would suspect that you consider it weak/tight (I'd be hard pressed to argue that it's not at least a little weak/tight), so I'd like to understand the aggressive play on this a bit more.

Thanks for the insight
~The Ugly One!