Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2005, 01:41 AM

Default Life after poker

Well, about a week ago I posted about my addiction. I received some responses and gave it some serious though. I also went on a magnificent 300 BB losing streak (this is approximately 1/3 of my winnings over the last year)! I managed to play only during when I said I would, so that's a plus. But I've decided I really don't want to handle the stress of losing money right now. School and internship seeking (along with relationships and social stuff) are stressful enough.

So, how to quit? Here's my foolproof method: No money in my checking account. Without it, I can't play! With money in there, I can instantly transfer thousands to poker. So how do I live without cash? I've decided to take up an offer on a zero interest credit card. Most of my money is invested in stocks right now (thankyou poker!). That money would take a minimum 48 hours to make it to my checking account. I certainly don't have that much patience when the addictiveness sets in. So, I'll rack up a little debt which I could easily pay off by selling stock with plans to pay it back when I work this summer. Good idea? Bad?

Regardless, online poker is gone until school ends this term. Good people have given me good reasons to quit. When everybody says the same thing it's time to listen.

Oh, do you want to know another thing that helped inspire me to quit? I was playing this action-RPG "Fable" for XBox. Pretty fun. Later in the game I noticed that I had so much money that I couldn't do a whole lot with it and I was much more interested in getting skill points and improving my skills. I think that's an interesting metaphor for my life. Right now I have plenty of money for my meager needs (concerts, gas, decent vodka, and burritos). I'd rather work on improving myself, because there's a much further way to go.

What else? I had more to write. I think I'm over the loss. I have my health after all. Dang I had something to say... I'm sure it was insightful. Ah well.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:57 AM

Default Re: Life after poker

I can dig it. Recently, we have read far too many stories about people who have taken their addiction too far. As long as you're sure you can stick to a plan like this, more power to you.

Man, I too wanted to add something, but, I also forgot what. Damn, well good luck.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Life after poker

I like the concept but credit cards are way more addictive than poker. More people have screwed up their lives with credit card debt than poker.

Why don't you get a card from your stock broker that pulls from your account rather than creating debt? Of course that is dangerous also because you don't want to trade your investment portfolio for pizza and beer.

Sorry, No simple answers to life's problems today. If you keep as close of an eye on your credit card as you did poker, you'll be just fine.