Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2005, 10:24 PM

Default going for an overcall with a weak flush

Foxwoods 1/2, I have ~600, other two both have about 200. SB is pretty crazy, he's LAG but also likes to call all-in bets with garbage like middle pair. CO is tight, but just calls for the most part. Both are pretty stupid and probably don't give a damn about how I play, so I doubt they have any read on me at all except that I have a lot of money in front of me. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Preflop:
Two limpers to me, I limp in the CO-1 with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO limps, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($12) JT4 w/ 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]'s. SB bets $15, folded to me, I call, CO calls.

Turn: ($58) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB bets $20, I call, CO calls.

River: ($118) 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB bets $25, I call...
Old 01-23-2005, 11:16 PM

Default Re: going for an overcall with a weak flush

[ QUOTE ]
SB is pretty crazy, he's LAG but also likes to call all-in bets with garbage like middle pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally with this hand I could see going for overcalls. If the above is true however, raising is probably best, but only if the SB is as awful as you describe.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:02 AM

He would definitely call a sizable raise with something worse than a flush, but that puts me in an awkward position against the CO if he reraises. My main worry was that the CO had a better flush draw given his flop and turn play.

If the CO wasn't in the hand, I would have raised.

And yes, the SB is as awful as I say. He called my all-in with JK on an AKT board. I had JQ.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:15 AM

Are you really going to fold if CO raises? If you think that CO is on a flush draw you have nowhere near the correct odds to call on the turn, particularly since you are probably drawing dead in that case. I think you have to fold the turn (worried about cutoff) or raise the river and let moron SB do his thing.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:31 AM

I felt like the CO could have had a lot of other hands than a flush draw just based on his flop play. He could have Q9 or KQ or just a lone T or J. So, I didn't really know what he had when it was up to me on the turn. His range of hands is so large that it's hard for me to put him on anything concrete. But a flush draw was certainly possible. Plus, I figured I just picked up ~4 more outs on the turn when the 6 hit. Another 6 is almost certainly good, and a 5 probably is too.

I thought calling on the river was best because if he doesn't have the flush, I can pick up another $20 off of him. When he does, he'll probably make a small raise which I will probably pay off and lose a lot less than if I had raised and he reraised.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:38 AM

You were there so you would certainly know better, and the flat call on the turn does give a bit more evidence that he is on a flush draw. However, you also said that had calling station tendencies and he most likely knows that SB is a monkey so he may simply be calling down with a decent hand and not on a draw at all. The potential overcall would be worth $20. Sounds like you could get $100 out of the SB with a raise but that runs the risk that you would be out another $130 or so if the CO pushes. Only you can really weigh the risk/reward I think since you are the one at the table. Given your descriptions, however, I think I would lean towards raising. You have to take advantage of that SB donkey when you have the chance.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:50 AM

The CO acted after me on the turn, so I didn't think folding on the turn was an option as I had little idea what he held. I had only seen the SB act on the turn.
Old 01-24-2005, 02:52 AM

I know. My last post took that into account. Didn't it?
Old 01-24-2005, 03:03 AM

Ah, my bad. I thought that:
[ QUOTE ]
You were there so you would certainly know better, and the flat call on the turn does give a bit more evidence that he is on a flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

referred to the info I had when I acted on the turn. What you said in that post made a lot of sense, thanks for the input.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:22 AM

Cool, then I'll just wait for what you did and the results. I take it you called, though. I'll go on to guess that CO folded his somewhat marginal holding once the draw hit and he saw that you had called and you took it down.