Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2005, 01:49 PM

Default When to quit a winning session

A lot of advice that you hear and read concerning when to quit a session, (either winning or losing), is how you feel and how is the table playing. Are you a favourite? etc etc. But I often find with the variances of limit HE that a winning session can often be dribbled away due to poor cards and bad flops. When I start out losing I stay until I climb out of the hole, but it's when I start out winning that is worrying me. I may be 30BB up after a couple of hours but the table is still good, I'm feeling good, so I stay. Why would I leave? A couple of hours later I'm back down to even due to the simple variances of poker and maybe one or two nasty bad beats.
What do you other players do? Do you quit after winning a certain number of BB no matter the favourable conditions of the table?
Old 01-23-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Re: When to quit a winning session

Play as long as you want to and you are a favorite. The next hand is just that, the next hand. Doesn't matter when you play it.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:06 PM

usually I set a time limit on my session. I may leave a little early if the table(s) start to suck, or a little longer if the table is good.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:30 PM

Variance happens, whether you quit when your ahead or not. It's all one big session. If you are a winning player, the upswings will average out bigger than the downswings. That said, I often stay up way too late when I'm stuck.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:30 PM

It's all one big session, baby.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Variance happens, whether you quit when your ahead or not. It's all one big session. If you are a winning player, the upswings will average out bigger than the downswings. That said, I often stay up way too late when I'm stuck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same problem that I have. I like to be able to pocket my winnings every now and then. There's no shame at all in booking a winning session early.

Blackjack
Old 01-23-2005, 08:03 PM

I have shame for this. I know it's all one big session, but I sometimes can't resist banking winnings when I'm way ahead despite the presence of LAGs waiting to take/give money (35/65) from/to me ...... sometimes they win 2 big pots from me and disappear leaving me short [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 01-23-2005, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There's no shame at all in booking a winning session early.

[/ QUOTE ]

nope, no shame, just a fundamental misunderstanding of the game.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:42 AM

Default i used to like to book many winning sessions

i am smarter now and understand that showing 20+ winning sessions in a month dont mean nothing if ur quitting in a hour or so when u could stay longer and bank more, the amt i am up makes no difference whether or not i quit(usually) because if a game is good why leave?? u can always run ur roll up to a huge amount if ur running good, also ur playing ur best when ur up,
Old 01-24-2005, 12:37 PM

Hiya -

If table conditions are favorable to me, I stay no matter the results...UNLESS...

I've been making errors that I should not make (two or three should do it for me)...

I'm tired because I've been playing a long while (influences more mistakes due to a lack of concentration).

That's it.

PB