Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2005, 03:22 AM

Default Sports beting problem

I have gotten to where I can be a consistent winner on the low stakes N/L games. The problem I always see the need to give a good portion of that money back wagering on sports. Please help me with this problem. I know the easiest solution would be "stop gambling on sports." Other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:26 AM

Default Re: Sports betting

Thats betting problem 2 t's
Old 01-22-2005, 03:29 AM

Default Re: Sports beting problem

Play fantasy sport games. Those are fun and risk free.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:33 AM

Set aside extra monies just for sports betting. X% of what you win at the low-limit tables stay in your bankroll so it continues to build and X% goes to sports betting.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:40 AM

Uh, do you want to stop gambling on sports? Because if you don't, I don't see what the problem is.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:40 AM

word i have the exact same problem haha... man it sucks.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:35 AM

Yeah. I like betting horses. TripleH "Hot Horse Howard." I also like playing poker. Come to think of it I will bet you that the original poster here takes the under in the Super Bowl.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:53 AM

This is probably horrendous advice but EVERYONE has random things they spend too much money on that they could spend better elsewhere. If you drop a few bucks here and there on sports AND it doesn't cause you any financial troubles AND it makes you happy, whatever, right?

I know women who spend hundreds every month on their hair and nails.

If you win X dollars at poker and drop X-Y dollars on sports betting, while it is absolutely a leak in your game and in your wallet, if you can afford it, again, don't have a problem.

Life's too short -- and whether you're using your winnings to buy pimped out electronic systems; DVD's, CD's, and books; or on expensive dinners with your friends/family/girlfriend -- money will get spent no matter what you do.

I'd be careful to make sure though that the money is NEVER an issue and utterly meaningless to your life: if you bet money that makes it that you can't cover your mortgage, then it's a problem. If you win $500 during the week at poker and drop $100 betting your buddy on a football game, it's all good in my mind.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 01-23-2005, 05:40 AM

I bet on ALOT of sports too...mainly football games...best advice i can give is find a good bookie...bet within ur means and never bet against ur home team!! its bad JUJU!! GO FALCONS!! GO DAWGS!! U do these things and just be smart about it and u wont lose too bad [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-23-2005, 03:29 PM

I think I am well qualified to answer this since I had the same problem. First I will say that I used to have a problem with pit games very early in my poker career. I eventually got so fuking sick of losing money there, and I knew it was never something I could do profitably, that I quit. I lost all desire to play the stupid games. Now if I ever do, it is just to blow off steam, and purely for entertainment. Then further along into my poker career, I started looking at sports betting as a possible source of income. I thought I was good enough to beat the "game". I tried and tried, and lost money. Until I got so fuking sick of losing money, and I took all my money out of sports betting sites and have never placed a wager since. I hate losing money, I hate the feeling it creates in me, so quitting became easy. If I ever do place a sports wager again, it will be for fun. I don't know if you're like me or not, but for me, the epiphany came when I realized how miserable I was when I lost money, and associated it with what was causing the loss. Only then did I actually start to hate the cause (pit games, and then sports wagering.) I will tell you this though, if you think you will ever bet sports for an income, stop lying to yourself. It will NEVER happen. Unbeatable for 99.999999999999999999999% of the population. And the ones that do have something that makes them unique (inside know, contacts, etc) that allows them to do it. For the average joe like you and I, it isn't going to happen. This is the practical side, which is always what has driven me. If you are just an adrenelin junkie, I'm not sure I can help you.

ps, I still have a problem with the stock market. I still haven't convinced myself that I can't make a living there yet, despite all my daytrading losses. good luck to you