Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 12:36 PM

Default Poker in Ireland?

I will be travelling in Ireland in February, and looking to drop into a poker room along the trip. From the Poker in Europe website, I found 2 places in Dublin (Merrion Club and Fitzwilliam Card Club) and one in Cork (Macau Sporting Club). What differeces should I expect between playing poker in the states and playing in Ireland? Will it be almost all pot-limit? Are there any tax issues I should be aware of?
Old 01-20-2005, 01:34 PM

Default Re: Poker in Ireland?

You have to be a member to play, and I think that's pretty much a formality. I dropped by the Merrion club in Dublin when I was there last year (which is actually a large refubbed home/apt. building) to pick up a chip for a card protector for a buddy.

I didn't have time to play, but I did pick up an application for membership. Didn't look like too big a deal. Yes, I would expect mostly NL and PL.

There is at least one other legal card room in Dublin whose name I can't remember. There are also a lot of shady illegal ones that even get involved in "table stakes +" games, e.g. I'm all in and I bet my car, too.