Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 12:11 PM

Default AKs. I Think I Found A Leak.

After 9,800 hands on .5/1 Party Poker, I am actually slightly negative with AKs and only slightly positive with AKo. My overall play after 7 weeks and 9800 hands is 1 BB/100. My last three weeks I'm +5 BB/100 but I'm still losing with AKs.

I think I'm hanging on too long to this hand when it's losing.

No reads.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, Button calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (12.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, Button calls.

Final Pot: 15.50 BB
Old 01-20-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Re: AKs. I Think I Found A Leak.

I think the turn bet is ok against 2 opponents even though you lost your back door flush draw and the call was probably ok with a gut shot and 2 overcards. Bad bet on the river, it is check fold for me.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:18 PM

Overcards (especially AK) against a flop that misses completely is a tough scenario.

Playing aggressively is good, particularly against 2 or less opponents. However, getting reraised on the turn should have been a signal to you that you had big problems.

What was the river bet all about? Did you think both opponents would fold?
Old 01-20-2005, 12:18 PM

check fold the river. and to be quite honest after i bet the flop get a caller and an overcall im done with the hand if i dont improve.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:20 PM

I would consider check-folding the turn. You have a gutshot draw to the idiot end of a straight which may result in a split pot, your A outs may or may not be good (your K outs probably are), and you are out of position against two opponents.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:21 PM

If you're in the red with AKs or AKo (over a reasonable sample), the reason is probably because you overplay overcards, which seems to be common.

This hand is a good post to illustrate. The 3-bet preflop was standard, and the flop bet was fine since UTG could have something like AQ or AJ. Against two opponents, I can see betting the turn in the hopes that you're ahead and/or have some folding equity.

When you get raised on the turn (and especially when button calls the raise), you are not ahead. On this particular hand it's fine to call the raise because of your gutshot, but take that away and I would probably fold since your overcard outs may not be live anyway.

Betting the river is spewing big time. This is check-fold territory.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:26 PM

either bet/fold the turn, check/fold the turn, or check/fold the river. tough to say.

however, don't worry about BB/100 stats with 1 particular hand, given your sample size. How many times have you played it, 60? Would you worry about your overall BB/100 after 60 hands?
Old 01-20-2005, 12:29 PM

Each of your opponents called a bet on the flop and turn. What makes you think they're not calling on the river? You're very more than likely beat.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Betting the river is spewing big time. This is check-fold territory.

[/ QUOTE ]Ya, the river bet and call was grotesque. This hand was from two weeks ago, and even since just then that has become clear to me. I am still struggling with some aspects of AK in overcard mode though. Thanks to all for all the comments so far. -TomBk
Old 01-20-2005, 12:54 PM

Well-played up to the river. The turn bet is fine and the call is fine given the odds of you improving and the pot size compared to the call (4 outs for the gut shot and ~1.5 for each overcard for a total of 7).

The river bet is creative. Did you think you'd steal the pot? Your opponents won't fold with a pair by now and will fold with a busted draw (usually). So stealing from a better hand is unlikely.

Did you think you had the best hand? Probably about a 2% chance of that. You just got turn raised.

Check-calling (but not overcalling) is probably better than betting here and check-calling is only for a bluff catch given the pot size.

Are you playing too fast? If you want to fix this "leak" then think about how your opponents will react to you. Take the time and think about the options, even if it means thinking for 10 seconds right now. Eventually you will reach similar situations and will develop some strategies for them that are well thought out.

As for your stats with hands, especially suited hands, you don't have nearly enough stats to worry about this yet. Keep playing and work on the strategies not the results. Results will follow.