Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2005, 07:45 AM

Default 3-bet turn with TPTK?

LAG checkraises me on the turn. Should I have 3-bet with my TPTK or is it fine to just call down?

My (limited) experience tells me that a turn checkraise usually means at least two pair, even if the checkraiser is a LAG. He's also in the big blind so he could have just about any two cards.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB <font color="#A500AF">(LAG)</font> calls, CO calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
LAG checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, LAG calls, CO calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
LAG checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">LAG raises</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

River: (8.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">LAG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB
Old 01-20-2005, 08:22 AM

Default Depends on the LAG.....

Against some I would feel very confident after watching them C/R with a wide range of cards, from mid pair to Jack high. With nothing else to go on, I say your fine here.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Depends on the LAG.....

[ QUOTE ]
Against some I would feel very confident after watching them C/R with a wide range of cards, from mid pair to Jack high. With nothing else to go on, I say your fine here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I would ever feel really confident 3-betting. Guess I'm still a bit weak in that sense.

Anyway, I also felt there's a decent chance that LAG was just testing the waters and would fold to a 3-bet. What about raising the river instead? Would that have been a bad play?
Old 01-20-2005, 10:31 AM

Default Re: 3-bet turn with TPTK?

It depends on just how tricky and laggy he is, but I think you played it fine.

I'd be somewhat more inclined to 3-bet if the turn card had improved drawing hands, but it's a total blank that doesn't coordinate at all with the flop. You'll certainly encounter some chronic tricky check-raisers who will make this play with hands like KQ, which is why you're calling down, but 3-betting is a little loose unless and until you have a really good feel for his play.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Depends on the LAG.....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I would ever feel really confident 3-betting. Guess I'm still a bit weak in that sense.

Anyway, I also felt there's a decent chance that LAG was just testing the waters and would fold to a 3-bet. What about raising the river instead? Would that have been a bad play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you raise the river? that doesn't make sense. In this hand you're either way in front or way back. If opponent was bluffing he will fold to your raise (no extra bets won), but if he's got a monster, you lose an extra bet or two. I don't think you can raise for value here after a check-raise on the turn. I just call this river bet.