Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 11:38 PM

Default Correct play on the turn? River?

Mid-Saturday night live play at Hollywood Park. Typical LPs are starting to get drunk. Lady in UTG+1 is especially very passive.

What I am wondering about this hand is if I should have checkraised the turn? I do not want to bet it out as UTG+1 is screaming monster and I'm afraid that if I bet into her on the turn, she will raise and I will lose all the customers behind her. But is there value in checkraising since so many SS players are reluctant to fold once they've put money in the pot?

I'm betting out a flush card on the river. Was going for a checkraise correct with the straight card?

Hollywood Park 2/4 Hold'em (10 players)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (14 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
<font color="red">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, <font color="red">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, Button calls, <font color="red">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="red">UTG+1 caps</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (17 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG+1 bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP2 calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (22 BB) 10[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG+1 bets</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP2 folds, Button calls, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, Button calls.

Final Pot: 28 BB
Old 01-20-2005, 01:36 AM

Default Re: Correct play on the turn? River?

Both the turn and the river look good. However, with as many outs as you have, a checkraise on the turn may be a more profitable play here. UTG+1 has been raising the entire way, I checkraise the straight card on the river every time, and depending on how loose aggressive UTG+1 is, I checkraise a [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] as well.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:44 AM

I think it's fine. Why is a c/r on the turn better than on the river? UTG+1 obviously has a good hand - there is no fold equity here. All the turn c/r does is possibly fold some of the other players in the hand, and we want them in. It looks pretty safe to assume that if the draw hits without pairing the board your hand is good, and if it misses you are toast. Why put in two bets on the turn when you can get them in on the river and save a bet if you miss?
Old 01-20-2005, 02:41 PM

"Why put in two bets on the turn when you can get them in on the river and save a bet if you miss? "

You CR the turn because all will call. This is for value.

If (hopefully) the crub rivers you are going to lose your customers and may even have the darned thing check around and that would be criminal. Crub river = Bet river.

Really, this is a very easy turn CR, IMHO.
Old 01-20-2005, 03:11 PM

FWIW, I agree that the turn checkraise is essential.

The river is good, but I would bet if a club fell, concerned it would check through.
bk