Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 08:40 PM

Default 7Stud/8 gaining popularity?

I have noticed an increased number of 7stud/8 posts. I hope this means that it is gaining popularity. I love this game. Where does everyone play? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-19-2005, 08:58 PM

Default Re: 7Stud/8 gaining popularity?

[ QUOTE ]
I have noticed an increased number of 7stud/8 posts. I hope this means that it is gaining popularity. I love this game. Where does everyone play? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I’m responsible for a lot of that. I’m a dummy and need all the help I can get. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I play mostly at PokerStars, and also at Paradise and Party.

greenage
Old 01-19-2005, 09:36 PM

Canterbury Park. $30/60 on Thursdays. Didn't make it last week because of work. Won't make it tomorrow or next week, either. Game started late, and short-handed at that, and then broke early last time I played. It may have been too good to be true.

I've also played in a $40/80 home game which is half hold'em and half stud/8. That one may be drying up, too.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:40 PM

Anyone who knows how to play several forms of poker should agree stud hi-low is the most difficult of them all. This and the fact that the game looks complex (which it very much is) to begginers will always keep it less popular than the other games. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Mike Emery
Old 01-20-2005, 12:02 AM

I actually think that high-only stud is the more difficult game. I think a much larger percentage of my decisions in stud/8 are clear-cut than in stud. Part of it may be that there are more high-only players, but it seems to me that most of the hand discussions that get really involved relate to high-only hands. This suggests to me that the decisions are less clear-cut and therefore more difficult.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I actually think that high-only stud is the more difficult game. I think a much larger percentage of my decisions in stud/8 are clear-cut than in stud. Part of it may be that there are more high-only players, but it seems to me that most of the hand discussions that get really involved relate to high-only hands. This suggests to me that the decisions are less clear-cut and therefore more difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I've known for years your the best stud player on this site. I doubt you find any aspect of stud difficult [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I also know you have a ton of experience in stud/8. But for lesser mortals, many difficult and tricky situations can occur in stud/8 when your caught in the middle of a multiway raising war. At that point, and many others, you must play your hand well or get squeezed into lemon juice. This is mainly why stud/8 gets my vote as the most difficult game. And also why its the game I believe the expert will have the largest advantage.

Mike Emery
Old 01-20-2005, 05:00 AM

I think the stud8 crowd is slowly growing. People are probably just getting sick of holdem. There is ALWAYS a low stakes game going on pokerstars and the 5 dollar sngs fill up pretty quickly. I believe there is a lot more money to be made at low limit stud8 then almost any other low limit game. The highest I have played on PS is 3-6 and that game still had a couple live ones.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who knows how to play several forms of poker should agree stud hi-low is the most difficult of them all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree with ya here man! I love stud8 but I believe that the game is a little more straight forward because you can see half your opponents hand! I do however believe that there is less variance involved in the game and the better players usually will win the money.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:25 AM

you may be right about on-line, but for live play, i haven't found a game in forever

mike
Old 01-20-2005, 12:05 PM

From guys I know around these parts that play HE online there is definite a growing interest in Stud and Stud 8, although most of them still haven't played much or have just dabbled in a few LL games. Still it's a start.