Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 07:58 PM

Default If it weren\'t for bad luck........

I have been playing poker seriously for the last 4 months and have lost consistenly. I have read and reread Mat Hilger, Pil H. TJ's books and Sklansky. I'm not a dummy I did get through college with a BSEE at a GPA of 3.48. I under stand the math the odds, probability, pot odds, implied odds. I play about 18-22% of my hands I can read boards farely well, PT has my prflop raises at about 5-7% long term. I just seem to lose more than I win. I'm woundering if some people just should not play poker because their luck just sucks. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I just don't play the books, which I figure every body reads to some level. I very my bets, I will play a few hands loose to keep my image at the tables mixed, but I don't lose a lot with a few hand like that. I slow play some hands, play most strait up.
Like today another losing sesion. Got BB with a pocket pair of aces, flopped three bet out, got raised post flop(A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) reraised and capped by the raiser. Turn comes 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] guy goes al-in, for a good inplied pot of 7to1 I call, he flips up a 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], river J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I feel like I just got hit 50,00 volts. I was stunded I just left the table. A few hands before, I get a BB with 3K's by a guy playing 2, 5 os. he pulls a full house, with runner 5's. I just seem to get more than my share of BB by crap hands. It seems like internet players will call and raise anything to the river. My top 15 starting hands has lost over 4000.00 in the last 4 months. I raise when I should, and fold losers, I can even fold pocket aces if I feel I'm beat. I just get lots of bad luck it seems. Should I keep playing or find something that need less luck? I'm to the point now that I'm so gun shy I don't know what to beleive any more.
Jinxed
RMG
Old 01-19-2005, 09:09 PM

Default Re: If it weren\'t for bad luck........

Approximately how many hands have you played during your losing streak and what limit(s) are you playing?
Old 01-19-2005, 10:08 PM

The answer is two-fold. And let me preface by saying that it is ONLY relevant if you are a player that plays by the same name (or very similar) on UB at the 1/2 limits. If it is not you, please accept my appologies in advance.

Sorry to tell you but it is both. You are both a bad player and you are unlucky.

The reason that I say that you are a bad player is that I have played with you and have taken your money.

The reason that I say that you are unlucky is that someone who acts like you on the table and starts cussing out opponents for no apparant reason (other than them taking your money) deserves to be unlucky and if there is a god, he has a hand in this.

I contend that if you change your ways, you will see a change in the results.

Or...if you like...keep up the "good" work.

Anonymous
Old 01-20-2005, 12:44 AM

It's not only about how you play, but who you play against. It doesn't matter how good you are if you sit down at a table where the majority is better than you.

olavfo
Old 01-20-2005, 01:40 AM

Well, here is an answer to your question. You need practice, and do this...

Play fewer hands, and play more agressive.
Try doing this. Playing ONLY very strong hands, do not play pocket pairs lower than 77, do no play suited connectors or AX suited at any time. Always raise when first in, and fold everything but AA-JJ and AK to a raise, reraise these hands.

Note: these are extremely tight starting standards, but you will win money if you play this tightly and agressivly, not the most you can win, but at least win money. Also, Im sure there are many things you will need to work on postflop, so just play tight and practice. Once you become a good player you can play looser.

my 2 cents.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:46 PM

During times like these, it's very important to be brutally honest with yourself. You may be running bad but can you attribute all your losses to bad beats? Or are your losses due in part to bad luck and in part to bad play?

There are always ways to improve your play; no one plays perfect poker. Take all the hands where you lost the most money and analyze them. Look at things from both your perspective and that of your opponent(s). Did your opponents really play that badly after all when considering pot odds, table texture, and such? How could you have lost less money given similar considerations? Even saving a big bet here and there really adds up fast.

This was my situation. Recently, I had been losing a ton of money. While not many players will be raking in the cash with 4% hands-won, by looking at my big losing hands, I realized my approach was fundamentally flawed for the tables I was sitting at. I was picking the wrong tables; I was playing in such a way to drive the weak players out and contesting too many pots against players that were better than me. I was losing more money than I should have been for a given losing hand. I wasn't manipulating pot size properly. And so on.

You didn't provide enough information on the hand to make an accurate determination, but it's entirely possible that Mr. 85s was playing properly and this wasn't a bad beat at all. What limit was it? Of the players that saw the flop, what were their playing styles? What was the table texture in general? What position were you? Were there a lot of players seeing the flop? I find it hard to believe that his play postflop was correct (would have had to be a rather big pot), but depending on the size of the pot and the type of players still in at the time, the turn play could have been entirely appropriate, or at least not that bad. Who knows.

When you're consistently losing, never start off by assuming you're losing due to luck. Assume you're losing because of poor play; look for your mistakes. Only when you can demonstrate that you're making fewer and smaller mistakes than your opponents should you write off your losses as bad luck.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The answer is two-fold. And let me preface by saying that it is ONLY relevant if you are a player that plays by the same name (or very similar) on UB at the 1/2 limits. If it is not you, please accept my appologies in advance.

Sorry to tell you but it is both. You are both a bad player and you are unlucky.

The reason that I say that you are a bad player is that I have played with you and have taken your money.

The reason that I say that you are unlucky is that someone who acts like you on the table and starts cussing out opponents for no apparant reason (other than them taking your money) deserves to be unlucky and if there is a god, he has a hand in this.

I contend that if you change your ways, you will see a change in the results.

Or...if you like...keep up the "good" work.

Anonymous

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry UB Player if i let go of steam at a table you played at. I don't think I have ever played a 1/2 table on ub. I mostly play .10/.25 and .50/$1 no-limit tables. I try not to tilt while online, as it not good play. But I have tilted a few times. I do not cuss out other players, in fact I run most of time with the chats off.
You are correct about being a bad play I never claim to be good. Please accecpt my apology if I have vented on you at any time. I think god is a holdem player and a pretty fare one at that [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img].
Tanks for the input and I will watch out for any comments on the chat if it is on.
RMG
Old 01-20-2005, 02:55 PM

one word: suicide
Old 01-20-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
one word: suicide

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Snake, that was useful
Old 01-20-2005, 05:59 PM

I read an Annie Duke column once about limiting your losses. She said if you lose 30 big bets in one session, its time to leave. You're either having a bad night, tilting, or you're at a table too tough for your game. Either way, get out. I have a hunch it will take longer to lose your next $4000 that way.