Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 07:44 PM

Default Butchered straight flush

Yeah, I know it's hard to do, but I think I probably extracted the minimum here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Paradise Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds.

Turn: (7 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (9 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB

So what did I do right?
And what did MP2 have?
Old 01-19-2005, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Butchered straight flush

[ QUOTE ]
So what did I do right?

[/ QUOTE ]

1)you called preflop
2) you didn't fold postflop [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
And what did MP2 have?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd guess J high flush or a Qx
Old 01-20-2005, 07:12 AM

Default Re: Butchered straight flush - results :)

My (not bright) thinking was that cold calling 2 bets on a scary board would just scare those behind as much as 3-betting. I guessed that one of the others had a flush as well or at least the K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] .

Sadly, MP3 chose not to stay in the hand for 1 more tiny tiny bet. Loser. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I have to say "good fold" to him even though he's a loose 48% VPIP.

Villain here had a measly pair of 9s with the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Shame neither had a Q or a set for me to draw out with my 1 outer [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-20-2005, 07:15 AM

With no raises behind him and 4 callers, why not call pre-flop?
Old 01-20-2005, 07:32 AM

I'm confused.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:45 AM

Well, I might have put you on a flush but definitely not the nut flush. Deceptive. Maybe not as profitable. But definitely deceptive.

I would always just bet this flop.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:37 AM

I did call preflop.

You mean postflop? I had a bet and a raise on the flop and could simply cold call with 3 or 4 behind (probably a smarter move than mine) or reraise. Since I wanted people in, it should have been an easy call rather than reraise.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:43 AM

yeah, I would have went for the overcalls. I don't worry too much about protecting my hands from sets pairing the board, because they will try to outdraw you. I would rather people be paying the higher cost of bets on later streets.
I go for overcalls here and check/raise the turn (usually when it doesn't pair), call a 3 bet if it pairs, and check/call the river if I don't get the straight flush.

edit: betting out on the flop doesn't seem like that bad of an idea with 5 other people. maybe a late position will raise and you will know how the other people have called or folded and can raise if there are still a bunch in.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:47 AM

I would have either bet the flop, or just check-coldcalled. Your check-threebet screamed "I have a monster."
Old 01-20-2005, 10:40 AM

Definitely go for overcalls next time. You are way out in front and only someone with a set could beat you with a full house, that is until the river. You've got a ton of people in this hand, and some of these people will cold call 2 with any heart hoping for the flush, or even straight, but when you three-bet you are advertising that you've got a very strong hand, and they aren't likely to hang around. I think if you call, you get at least 1 or maybe 2 callers for the turn as well.