Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 06:41 PM

Default QQ against 2+2er = poor play by me

CO is 2+2. UTG+1, no reads (don't have GT+ open yet).

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (15.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (15.25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls.

River: (18.25 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 18.25 BB

I recognize a few mistakes right away (I played the hand way too fast). But I just want to hear everyone elses opinion.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Re: QQ against 2+2er = poor play by me

You should probably cap preflop. Do you think that CO could 3-bet with AK? If not, raise the turn.

As I think back on it, it looks hella like AK. Other than the missed preflop cap it looks good. CO is probably worried his straight is no goot!
Old 01-19-2005, 06:49 PM

how come you didn't cap preflop?... and why was it too fast?... i figger on the flop you just play fast w/ yoru top set and hope he didn't flop a straight
Old 01-19-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how come you didn't cap preflop?... and why was it too fast?... i figger on the flop you just play fast w/ yoru top set and hope he didn't flop a straight

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that was my first mistake. It was an easy pre-flop cap. A combination of being scared of a 2+2er, multi-tabling, and my overall bad luck with QQ. I've only been playing a couple of months and I'm still working hard on aggression in all areas. For the record, I typically always cap PF w/ QQ.

And the fast comment meant literally too fast. I wasn't paying enough attention to the table and didn't think through each street as I should have, I thought.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I recognize a few mistakes right away (I played the hand way too fast). But I just want to hear everyone elses opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]
The only mistake I can see is not capping preflop. Do you think you made another? 3-betting the flop is easy, at least if you think you'll get one additional caller (you got 2)
Old 01-19-2005, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The only mistake I can see is not capping preflop. Do you think you made another? 3-betting the flop is easy, at least if you think you'll get one additional caller (you got 2)

[/ QUOTE ]

I considered raising the turn. I liked capping the flop.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I considered raising the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
About 50% of his possible holdings (assuming he'll only raise UTG preflop with AA-TT and AK) beats you and he'll only 3-bet the ones that beats you. Raising is a bad choice IMO.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I considered raising the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
About 50% of his possible holdings (assuming he'll only raise UTG preflop with AA-TT and AK) beats you and he'll only 3-bet the ones that beats you. Raising is a bad choice IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, on the turn I'm still ahead of: AA, KK, JJ, TT. I'm only losing to AK, right? That's why I thought I shouldn't have been scared and bet/call. Or once I made the mistake of checking, at least raise.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:06 PM

If the 2+2er is weak-tight, you should consider betting the river. You bet, UTG+1 calls with his two pair, and CO curses his luck and mucks his hand. You have to be reasonably certain CO would muck his likely straight without a spade, b/c of the times that UTG+1 overcalls with a low spade and the times CO has a spade in his hand.

You also profit those times that UTG+1 doesn't have a spade (or folds his low spade, not likely) and CO has a lower set (a real possibility).

Since you have to call a single bet to you (I think; esp. from CO who might have just a lower set or KQ) and you have to fold to a raise, betting out seems right.

And maybe I'm wrong and the play is -EV, but what a great post you will have if it works. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Also, bet the turn and call a raise.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:10 PM

Yup. There are 16 possible AK and 18 possible TTs, JJs, KKs, AAs. Not sure he'll cap this scary board with KK or AA , so you'll be ahead at most 50% of the times.

EDIT: If you believe UTG will call 2 cold then raising would be no probs. But I would rather bet out, get UTG to call, and call if 2+2 raises.