Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 06:39 PM

Default Offsuit broadway--AJ, AT, KQ, KJ, KT, QJ, QT, JT

I realize I still probably think too much about hands preflop, but I find that these hands are nothing but trouble. Here's my current thinking on them.

* In most cases, they can really be played profitably only in MP3, CO, Button, and SB.

* In passive games, the first 3 (AJ, AT, KQ) can be profitably played anywhere.

* I think, as well, that in tighter games you can open-raise with the first 3 from anywhere but UTG. I think that in a 9-handed game, you can open-raise even UTG. The fewer people in the game, the more you should think about open-raising with these hands, and the more you should consider doing so with weaker OB hands as well.

* You can raise with these hands CO and Button if--

--the blinds are too tight
--you're against passive players who will check to you
--you're against tricky players who will try to check-raise you (beware limp-reraisers, though)

* These hands must be mucked if there's a raise, even from BB, unless:

--the raiser is loose-aggressive, you play better post-flop, and you can isolate
--the raise is obviously an attempt to steal one of your blinds, and even then, be more inclined to bail as you move farther down the list

I invite your comments.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Offsuit broadway--AJ, AT, KQ, KJ, KT, QJ, QT, JT

KQo and AJo are raises from all positions for me. SSHE advocates limping EP with AJ, but im a maniac! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

AT and KJ are easy raises from mp2 and later if folded to me, and either a call or a raise if limpers in front (depends on the table texture.).

Anything else is a limp from late position, or, if folded to me, a raise (depends on the table texture.). Any other position and they're mucked.

With a raise in front, its all out the window. Unless I'm on a blind and facing a raise from an aggressive player, any offsuit broadway (cept AK and sometimes AQ) is an auto-muck.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:03 PM

Default Some followup.

AK and AQ (along with AKs-ATs) are not what I call "Broadway" hands, but rather Big Aces.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:09 PM

BUMP
Old 01-22-2005, 12:11 PM

Actually, KQ and AJ are pretty decent hands, as long as you don't play them after a raise. AT and KJ are good middle postion open raise or isolation raise hands. I fold them without hesitation in EP. The rest are pretty much just blind stealing or blind defending hands. I will sometimes limp with JT in late position with lots of limpers, for straight value, but this is marginal at best.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I realize I still probably think too much about hands preflop, but I find that these hands are nothing but trouble. Here's my current thinking on them.

* In most cases, they can really be played profitably only in MP3, CO, Button, and SB.
+
Response:
For the most part, I agree with this for med-tight games.
+
* In passive games, the first 3 (AJ, AT, KQ) can be profitably played anywhere.
+
Response:
+
In weak-passive games, the risk of being raised is lessened and you can play most of the hands you list from anywhere - as long as you don't get trapped by stronger hands that will let you bet all the way only to lose on the river.
+
* I think, as well, that in tighter games you can open-raise with the first 3 from anywhere but UTG. I think that in a 9-handed game, you can open-raise even UTG. The fewer people in the game, the more you should think about open-raising with these hands, and the more you should consider doing so with weaker OB hands as well.

* You can raise with these hands CO and Button if--

+
Response:
+
You can raise with any of the eight hands (and many others)you list if you are first in from late MP, CO or button.
+

--the blinds are too tight
--you're against passive players who will check to you
--you're against tricky players who will try to check-raise you (beware limp-reraisers, though)

* These hands must be mucked if there's a raise, even from BB, unless:
+
Response:
+
If you are already in, you should be calling a raise with most of these hands. The hands without an ace play best with several callers. If there are already several callers and you have the button - KQ and QJ can be very profitable providing you are able to release on weaker flops (you are looking for two pair and straights).
+

--the raiser is loose-aggressive, you play better post-flop, and you can isolate
--the raise is obviously an attempt to steal one of your blinds, and even then, be more inclined to bail as you move farther down the list

I invite your comments.

[/ QUOTE ]
+
Response:
+
You are being way to general and throwing away hands that can be very profitable in the right situations. However, as a general rule I agree that most of these hands are dogs when UTG and early MP and should be mucked.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2005, 05:45 PM

Default hi hi

u can raise w/ all of these hands from co and button if first in