Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 06:00 PM

Default Two-pair on the turn, call two or fold?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 (poster) calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, Hero calls.

Table is loose and one person has posted behind me.

Flop: (10 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP2 folds, SB calls, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls.

Thinking UTG+2 will bet, I check and intend to check-raise; however, SB surprises me by raising UTG+2's bet. SB seems better than average and I am not expecting him to play 24 from the SB. UTG+2 is horrible. My questions:

1) Do I go for the check-raise here or just bet out?
2) Call two, fold, or even reraise here? Could SB be waiting until the turn to raise an AQ or AJ?

River: (14 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls.

Final Pot: 17 BB
Old 01-19-2005, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Two-pair on the turn, call two or fold?

Any help? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-19-2005, 07:41 PM

i wouldnt bet the flop, all youre doing is giving the raiser a chance to raise and chase out people who might pay one but wont pay 2 to draw and youre not ahead here most of the time. i would check call the flop, then check intending to raise the turn, but it looks like the sb may have like AT or even a set, if he called a raise from the sb and is a proficient player. i would prolly play it from then on like u did
Old 01-19-2005, 07:57 PM

why did you call preflop in EP? I usually wait until MP to call with this (unless its typically 6+ to the flop, or very little PF raising going on)...you don't want to risk being shorthanded or raised.

For your questions:
1)the 5 is a blank in most everyone's eyes, going for the check raise is a good idea in my opinion as you can be fairly confident UTG+2 will bet.

2) If SB is truly above average then if he had a set it would have to be 33, maybe TT (pockets aces he probably would have reraised PF). odds are he wouldn't cold-call two bets on the flops of pocket 5s. Like you said 24 is unlikely to coldcall that flop (as well as preflop). If he has the set, I could see him waiting for the turn to open up. But more likely I'd say he had an AQ/AJ (hopefully not AT) and was trying to get it headsup with the "horrible" UTG+2. I'd 3bet the turn, if it's capped call the river. WIth this hand, you don't want to fold.

without better reads, your play is a close second in my opinion.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:12 PM

djr, as for the PF call, the table was extremely loose (high pot avg bad beat jackpot table) and there was a poster behind me.

Jules, although I have a weak kicker, I always bet out top pair there because I could very well have the best hand.

Thanks for the input!
Old 01-19-2005, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as for the PF call, the table was extremely loose (high pot avg bad beat jackpot table) and there was a poster behind me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't having a poster behind make you less inclined to play a marginal hand like A5s, since you might get isolated by a good player with a (most likely) better hand?
Old 01-19-2005, 09:26 PM

With a poster behind you, you can play a bit looser because that's one more person who is likely seeing the flop, thus increasing the pot size. More people are inclined to enter pots if they already know someone is going to behind them.

Posters are your friends with hands that thrive off implied odds like small pairs and Axs.