Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 05:32 PM

Default Laying down TPTK

Ok, I am sure I can find this elsewhere, but my post is somewhat individualized due to personal experience. In .5/1, 1/2, and 2/4 tables at party poker and other card rooms I lose money overall when I flop TPTK. What typically happens is I am out of position, since DP always seems to defend its position with Ax. Say the flop comes Q82 rainbow. A ragged flop. There are 3 callers plus me, so lets assume 14 SB. I bet, one person folds, and two call. Turn is a blank. I bet and this time get raised by the player on my immediate left. The next player folds. Now the pot is sizable, 11.5 BB, what do I do? I have to think I am behind and quite possibly have 5 outs at best. In a higher limit table I would 3-bet it thinking he has QK, but I constantly run into Qx hitting two pair. Should I call here, and if I dont improve the river fold? Should I even assume I am behind always? It turns out that the majority of the time I am behind to a set, two pair, or a lowball straight when the board is ragged like that. It is wrong to fold the turn because of the sizable pot, so is this just a situation where I pay off if I am behind? I seem to run into these marginal situations all the time. I have lost 250BB in 8000 hands to unimproved top pair, and I am protecting my hands pretty well.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Laying down TPTK

You should post specific hands. If you're getting sucked out on, that sucks and can't be helped.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Laying down TPTK

I call down 90% of the time if I am out of position.
If none of you improves u need to be ahead only 2/14.5= 14% of the time. If he has 2 pair u have 8 outs most of the time.

If u call turn call river too.

If the board is rally scary or he is very passive I might fold. If you start folding people will notice and make plays
towards you.