Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 04:06 PM

Default A question re dual monitor setup

I bought a new video card (video card ) and I installed it in my Dell Dimension 4550 desktop. I have another monitor and I plugged that into the video card after installing the driver, etc.

I boot up and the second monitor has a blue rectangle in the right half of the screen. Moreover, when I try to 'extend the desktop' to the second monitor (which Windows recgonizes, btw) the computer freezes up (can't even use crtl alt del) and I have to switch off the power.

I can, however, still use my primary monitor and desktop (from which I am writing this). As long as I don't try to 'extend', I'm fine.

What is wrong? What can I do?
Old 01-19-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Re: A question re dual monitor setup

bump?
Old 01-19-2005, 05:03 PM

I have a dual monitor setup on both my notebook and desktop, but in each case the card is designed for two monitors. You are using two separate cards and monitors, correct? The first thing I would wonder is whether both cards are designed to be able to handle this - if one card is a little bit older, it may not be designed for XP or some such thing. I've never used two separate cards to dual monitor, so I'm not sure about the technology involved - just giving the first thing I would research. You may already have checked it out though...
Old 01-19-2005, 05:06 PM

I am using two cards and two monitors. The setup said that it was okay for XP.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:19 PM

I can't really help you, but I have heard that some video cards end up conflicting with each other causing problems, like you are seeing. The cards aren't actually designed with this in mind (except the newer Nvidia ones with SLI or whatever it's called). If I remember correctly I think older Nvidia cards are also okay for doing this but other brands and mixing brands is a gamble.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:25 PM

Can you return the 2nd video card and get one that has dual monitor capability? That's what I have and it works great.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't really help you, but I have heard that some video cards end up conflicting with each other causing problems, like you are seeing. The cards aren't actually designed with this in mind (except the newer Nvidia ones with SLI or whatever it's called). If I remember correctly I think older Nvidia cards are also okay for doing this but other brands and mixing brands is a gamble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a conflict - Start, help and support (type in device manager), click the link labeled "Device Manager" off to the left (there are other ways to get there but my Windows XP needs to be reinstalled so it's the only way for me to get there..

* Click the plus sign next to display adapters
* Right click and select properties
* Select 'Resources' tab
* Write down your IRQ and I/O Range

You need to do this for both of your graphics cards. This is highly unlikely (probably impossible actually) if you are running an AGP and PCI - But if you are running two PCI cards it would be much mroe impossible.

If the two have similar information for either of the two above fields I told you to write down it is causing a conflict and will continue to do so until you modify your BIOS - which is a little tougher to explain....

Hopefully this isn't your problem but check and see - it might also state "This device has a conflict" or one of your graphics adapters may be blanked out when you click the plus sign... That is a sure fire sign there is a conflict.

Prior to manually updating the System BIOS I would make sure I had up to date drivers for BOTH video cards installed.

Hopefully the driver solution is all it takes for you
Old 01-19-2005, 06:40 PM

Now when I boot up I get the infamous "blue screen". It says that the driver is causing an 'infinte loop'. It does this when the monitor is plugged in and when it is not. I can't even boot up in safe mode. Ugh.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:44 PM

It is doing this at bootup? Not while you are running an application ? Regardless there is definately a problem with the install of that 2nd video card.

Try removing the video card and monitor see if it boots up (the P.C. 'may not' call for the drivers if it isn't plugged in) but it will probably still try to load them. Without the card there though it shouldn't cause any errors as it isn't interrupting communications on the same channel - if that doesn't work you are going to need some more troubleshooting..

I'll check back in a bit to see if that worked in the middle of a tournament. Try to at the very worst get into your system with system restore, safe mode, or a boot disk.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:46 PM

Right. I removed the card and the monitor and it works fine--I'm using the desktop to type this.