Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Bet into on the turn with overpair on board.

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Villain is good player. Have not seen him get out of line.

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (10.33 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (6.16 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>...

Is calling down the standard play here? What do you make of villain's bet?
Old 01-19-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Bet into on the turn with overpair on board.

Much of the time he'll be slowplaying a K, some of the time he'll have another pocket pair or a 7 or 5 or nothing. I would call down just about every time here.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:19 PM

I think I'd raise again on the turn. This has happened to me a lot and its almost always complete BS. He probably has something like A7 and thinks his hand is good. Raising may be too aggressive, but at minimum I'd definately call this down HU. Why wouldn't he c/r you on the turn with a K? Why wouldn't he wait untill the river and c/r you if he thinks your aggressive?
Old 01-19-2005, 03:21 PM

I think if I was going to continue it would be with a turn raise and that would be the last money I put in barring a 9 on the river.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:23 PM

Why not showdown your hand for the same price? If you raise, a bluff may fold instead of betting again and some players may even 3 bet you with something like A7 or 88.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think if I was going to continue it would be with a turn raise and that would be the last money I put in barring a 9 on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you'd raise the turn and check behind on any river card besides a 9????
Old 01-19-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I think this line has merit when there are viable draws villain could be betting as a semi-bluff, but this line stands to get the least from a courageous 7, and lose the same amount to a K.

Rob
Old 01-19-2005, 03:34 PM

Because
[ QUOTE ]
Villain is good player.

[/ QUOTE ]
So I doubt if his hand includes a 5 or 7.

I'm thinking a better pocket pair may fold. And if he's betting with A-high for whatever reason I don't mind him folding that. I don't believe he has a K. The stop and go to me though looks like a better hand without a K and for the same price as calling down I'd rather give him a chance to fold. Am I way off on my read here?
Old 01-19-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because

Villain is good player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villian just cold called an open raise, he can't be that good of a player. But this read does mean he probably doesn't have a 5 or a 7 as you say. I think given the read I like what your saying. If he is a decent player, there is not much he cold calls with here. Maybe he's timid and cold calling with TT or JJ or something in which case a turn raise might push him off a hand like that. At the worst, we probably can get a free showdown.

Its also possible he's way behind and we get him to fold, but I can't see a lot of hands he would have where this would be the case.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:43 PM

Nevermind what I said. I thought MP1 called and MP2 folded. I think calling down is fine.