Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 01:43 PM

Default Begginer No-Limit Question

This is my first hand analysis post, so please bear with me...

1-2 No Limit at the Borgata (300 max buy-in)

Reads: UTG +1 seems to be a weak to mediocre player with a bit of gamble to him (@$200 in chips) MP2 has been quiet.(@ $600 in chips) Hero has about $240

Hero Has 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] on the button.

Four limpers to hero who bets $20, UTG +1 calls as Does MP+2.

Flop:3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Checks to Hero who bets $40
Turn:10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Checks to Hero who checks
River:9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG+1 bets $25, MP2 Raises to $100 Hero...
Old 01-19-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Begginer No-Limit Question

In addition, if anyone could provide comment on my plays on the flop and river, that would also be helpfull.

I bet on the flop hoping to take it right there from hands like KQs or An AXs(obviously not of clubs) by representing a high ace.

The turn check was a bit of an inexperience hiccup, although the free card improved my hand.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:03 PM

Let's see, checking on the turn kept you from being check raised when MP2 hit his flush. Making a set on the river trapped you into re-raising all in?
Old 01-19-2005, 02:29 PM

I think he's playing either a flush or a straight to your set. At 3 to 1 I'm folding, even though its a tough fold.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:33 PM

I think river is clear fold with 2 other in the hand.

I like your play on other streets.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's see, checking on the turn kept you from being check raised when MP2 hit his flush. Making a set on the river trapped you into re-raising all in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost exactly right,except I called in the rationale that the extra $80 I had left wasn't significant to get MP2 to fold and that I probably had UTG+1 beat.

UTG+1 folded. MP2 Turned over J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Was I wrong to call here, thinking that there was a possibility have made that bet with A9? Also, was I wrong to be surprised at his holding cinsidering:
1) That he was playing that at all preflop
2) That he gave a free card when I easily could have had A with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]?
Old 01-20-2005, 07:54 AM

With a pair of 9's (or most any pair), your objective in seeing the flop is to hit a set and then hammer it. Don't slowplay sets.

Not only did you not hit the set on the flop, but there was an obvious flush draw on the board including an Ace.

I'm not sure why you bet the flop instead of folding. You had no piece of it. Plus betting the river after seeing a third club on the turn and a three-to-a-straight develop between the flop and river was not good at all.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:21 PM

I would take a cautious approach here. On the flop, out of position, the pot is already 60. If u wanted to take out the draws u should have betted more. I think since u want to hit a set, on this especific hand a check would not be a bad idea. Since your bet on flop will probably get called only by hands that beat you or strong draws.
You would have gotten a free card, and could see how they would react on the turn when the flush hitted. if no bet was made, you would be freerolling to the river. You had a dangerous hand on that board.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:26 PM

Pre-flop. I'd call. Middle pair, at least 5, maybe 7 interested in the pot, I think you need to hit the set to win. You have nice pot odds with the people in the pot. With your raise, you're going to get one or two callers, and probably those who had the best chance to beat you to begin with.

Flop. I'd check. You didn't hit your flop, and there's an overcard. The fact they checked to you may indicate that no one has an Ace, on the other hand, someone may just be slow playing it.

Turn. The check to you is interesting. Either someone is slowplaying a flush (or even the Aces again) waiting for you to bet, or you have the best hand here. I'd probably call.

River. Now you're in a dilemma. You have to decide whether someone slowplayed the flush or not. If it were me, I'd probably swallow hard and bet with one of the two betting. With both betting, I'd probably fold. However, I'd be really upset with myself when I see a pair of Aces win the pot.

Flop.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:59 PM

This is trouble. You're probably up against a flush here, a straight, or maybe both.

You've got second pair on the flop - not sure why you're betting here unless you're looking to take it down right here.

On the turn - another overcard to your pair - can't fault the check here, especially with a third spade up, and the checker possibly looking to check raise you with the goods.

On the river - fold is the sensible play here unless you're up against a couple of maniacs who would check and raise the river on a bluff.

KC
kingcobrapoker.com