Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 10:12 AM

Default KQ missing the flop and I\'m lost

Hi!

I've been checking this forum out for a while and decided it's time for me to get my game together by posting some hands!

In situations like this one I often find myself having absolutely no idea what to do.

No really good reads on the players but UTG seems a bit like a LAG.

Any comments appreciated.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (4.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero ???
Old 01-19-2005, 10:16 AM

Default Re: KQ missing the flop and I\'m lost

hey welcome to the forums. nice first post, well constructed.

preflop and flop are fine of course, and calling the turn is pretty simple.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:19 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

I'd bet the flop.

b
Old 01-19-2005, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-19-2005, 10:34 AM

Good post I would have bet the flop but as it was played i would lean toward folding to the turn bet you have eight outs to the straight and overpairs and are likely drawing dead to the flush.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:35 AM

Turn call is pretty easy given the overcards, gutshot and flush draw. If UTG is a true LAG then he's mostly likely bluffing to pick up the pot here with nothing or a weak holding at best and you have up to 18 outs (or more) in this spot. Getting 4.25:1 from the pot with odds to win at around 2:1 seems to be an easy call.

I agree with bernie though - bet the flop. Even with the flush draw (and you've got the backdoor), this is still a fairly disconnected flop. I've seen more and more lately where a flop bet and a turn bet after your pre-flop raise will win you the pot in this situation. And if the turn card is scary instead of improving your hand like it did here I think that you'll see a free river more often than not.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good post I would have bet the flop but as it was played i would lean toward folding to the turn bet you have eight outs to the straight and overpairs and are likely drawing dead to the flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

I respectfully disagree here. If the UTG was a LAG, I don't think that you can be so certain on Hero being dead to the flush. I think that most LAG's would be semi-bluffing with their flush draw on the flop here (Unless it's a smart LAG who expects the raiser to bet and so he can suck the other two players in for calls, but again, if it's a true LAG, I don't expect that play out of them). Even more so I would expect a true LAG to bet many weak hands in an effort to pick up this pot. I weighed in that a flop bet was in order here, but having played it the way you did, I think that a turn call is pretty easy.

Of course, the last option would be to raise. If you get three-bet on the turn a fold is easy and you only lose two bets (which you probably would've lost calling down again on the river anyways). On the other hand a raise will represent the flush, may possibly knock out the Button/BB increasing your outs on the river and it could also win the pot for you on the river if the right card comes and you bet.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:51 AM

I'd bet the flop.

i can see that, although i dont think it matters much.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:06 AM

crunchy I dont disagree with your point but if bb stays and a diamond hits the river and bb checks utg bets whats the play then? I just hate being in tough spots like this for a small pots. I'm saving my money for a better spot.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if bb stays and a diamond hits the river and bb checks utg bets whats the play then?

[/ QUOTE ]
Call.