Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 08:56 AM

Default KQ how to get yourself in heaps of trouble.

Did I play this correctly? I feel I just dug a big hole for myself more than anything else...

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG+1 posts a blind of $1. CO posts a blind of $1.
UTG calls, UTG+1 (poster) checks, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO (poster) calls, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (11.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, Button calls, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (11.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, UTG calls.

River: (15.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero folds, Button calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 18.75 BB
Old 01-19-2005, 09:05 AM

Default Re: KQ how to get yourself in heaps of trouble.

Not to wild about the flop raise, but because you did... you had pot odds to call the turn bet.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to wild about the flop raise, but because you did... you had pot odds to call the turn bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's what I mean. By attempting to clear my overcard outs I've effectively tied myself to the pot... what does everyone else think.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:26 AM

I'm thinking I need to try some 1/2 6 max action soon. Never been on a 6 max table so the preflop seems okay to me. The flop raise could be suspect but maybe that's the aggression needed and you just got caught in a bad hand?
Old 01-19-2005, 10:44 AM

I find myself in these situations all the time, raising a draw on the flop, getting 3-betted which forces me to call the turn. I think the free card play is quite overrated and in this situation with poor position and a weak draw you should not try it.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:01 AM

First of all... (6 max, 10 handed)??? I think you should send the HH to Bison for a look.

Okay, I like your flop raise. Force 3 others to call 2 cold with 2 overs + 2nd nut backdoor. If there's any time to raise overcards, it's now. When you get 3-bet, you have to look at UTG+1's 3-betting standards. Would he do this with a flush draw? An OESD? A 9 with a good kicker? Or does this mean 2-pair or better? And if he has a 9 with a good kicker, well, your K outs may be no good. Still, you have to call the 3-bet, then check/fold the turn unimproved. But you improved, so you have to see the river. I think this is all standard. If you hit a K or Q on the turn, what would you have done?
Old 01-19-2005, 11:43 AM

Let's consider your outs here. For the backdoor flush draw (second nut) I'll give you 1 out. For each of the overcards I'll give you 2 outs (in case you hit and it doesn't win for you.. I think 2 is generous). That's 5 outs.

The pot is laying you the proper odds except that it may get 3-bet or capped after you (and it did). However, if a call is right, which is seems to be, a raise is definitely better because it increased your winning chances by knocking out players. I honestly don't think folding is too far off here because of the chance of it being raised behind you.

On the turn, you caught a gut shot. 3.5 outs for that (cause J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] may not win it for you.) Say 1.5 outs for each overcard now. That' 6.5... You are probably getting odds even if you get raised here, but probably not if you are 3-bet. Not a bad call. Again, a raise might knock out some hands that will beat you if you catch your Q or K again. I'd say all three options are really close, and a raise might be more important here if you are going to stay so that you don't let the other K's and Q's stay for cheap.

Not terrible, but you probably have a bad taste in your mouth cause you didn't catch... Don't worry.. just keep making the best plays.