Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 05:48 AM

Default 5/10 PL game with QQ

Villain in CO bought in about 1 earlier for $5k (covering the largest stack by 3x or so), played a few hands in the 1 seat, then moved to the 8 seat when a space opened up. Villain is either a pro or a good, tricky amateur. Villain has been fairly aggressive preflop, raising frequently to $30-$45 depending on whether there are limpers in front, especially when in position. In general the game is fairly loose preflop (sometimes as many as 4-5 players will see a preflop raise) but a bit tighter with one or two exceptions after the flop.

I am on the other end of the table in the BB with about $1k.

One limper to Villain in CO who makes it $35 to go, folded around to me in BB (holding Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]). I reraise to $80. Villain thinks a bit and calls.

Flop is low, something like T84 with 2 diamonds. I lead out for $165-ish and Villain calls.

Turn is 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I think. I bet $500. Villain pauses a bit and asks me how much I have left, which is about 300 and change. He raises me all-in.

Comments so far?
Old 01-19-2005, 08:01 AM

Default Re: 5/10 PL game with QQ

call. youre too committed. i dont like making potsized bets on the turn, but many players play this way. you commit yourself too fast and because of it offer your villains excessive implied odds letting them call your pfr in an attempt to break your stack.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:41 PM

Ok so how much to bet on the turn? $350?

That would leave me with $450-ish and pot odds of about 4-to-1 if reraised all-in.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:14 PM

Gratuitous bump. I'd really like some comments on my line here.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:18 PM

I think the preflop re-raise was really bad against this opponent.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:20 PM

I think you need to go back to your preflop read if you made one...if at any point you put him on KK or AA then you probably shoulda slowed down on the turn, otherwise get your money in the middle cuz unless he caught up your probably golden. What was the end result, did he hit a set?
Old 01-19-2005, 06:20 PM

Don't love the PF reraise, but that's more of a preference thing I guess. Unless you put him squarely on a draw, then betting the turn is questionable - I may check/call and throw a blocker on the river. As it played out, you have to call. Without great reads, I'm not playing for my stack with one pair.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:38 PM

Why make it 80 here? That's just asking for trouble out of position. Either flat-call or make it the full 120.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:38 PM

In hindsight I agree with this assessment, but I was worried about playing the flop out of position without a bit more information.

Like I said he raises frequently preflop with position (and he had a couple of rocks to his immediate left) so I wanted to somehow try and gauge the strength of his hand. Obviously this didn't work out so well because I didn't really pick up much information from this play.

So, how do I get more information about his hand? Call and lead out on a low flop? Call and check-raise a low flop? I don't really like the idea of check/calling my hand the whole way especially if he's on a draw.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:44 PM

My thinking was that I want him to call with worse hands and not get away for $35 if he's just raising with a suited connector, Axs, or something similar.

Is this faulty thinking?