Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2005, 11:49 PM

Default Live £3/3 PL short stacked

Playing in a very deep aggressive game (roughly $6/6 P/L) - majority of players have over $2k, no max buy-in. (To make it simpler I'll put figures in $)

I don't usually play in this game and don't much like P/L either [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] but I like playing short stacked against aggressive big stacks.

I bought in for $400 about 2hrs before, played very tight and am up to about $480 when I get A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in CO.
A couple of limpers to me and I raise the pot to ~$100 (standard raise is the pot)

A very tight button with around $2400 (only seen him play PP, doesn't call raises without a decent hand) calls. The BB then raises all-in another $30 ish - he hasn't reloaded since taking a beat the hand before. The MP limpers fold back to me. Myself and the button both call.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check to the button who looked at the main pot, didn't look at my stack at all and bet $160 into the sidepot. Main pot is ~$320.

I think for 10 seconds and c/r all-in for $375 total.
I put the button on an overpair AA-JJ and so I was essentially going for the sidepot there and then, with a good shot at the main pot. I wasn't going to lay it down and a call would pot commit me anyway.

Is this a good play for me to make? - I was not expecting the button to call as he was a little too tight but didn't mind too much if he did.
If he did lay it down I felt pretty good for the main pot against the tilted BB who could have put the rest of his stack in with any two for all I know.

The table argued for a little while after about it and so I wondered what you guys thought. Seems ok to me, especially as I think the button will fold over half the time.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:01 AM

Default Re: Live £3/3 PL short stacked

The table argued for a little while after about it and so I wondered what you guys thought. Seems ok to me, especially as I think the button will fold over half the time.

If you think button will fold half the time, it's a great move: if he folds you get the 160 from the side and may be good for the center, and you're still live (for the whole thing) with between nine and fifteen outs if he calls.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:08 AM

as soon as i read that the button bet the flop i was hoping you were going to crallin. i think its a great line. you will be ahead of the BB here a large portion of the time and if you arent you are a coin flip. against the button with a pair under AK you are racing, and your cralling screams enormous strength, so he may be inclined to fold a pair as high as QQ.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:44 AM

Hmmm, interesting post. I assume that this was at the Vic, which is my local, I guess my opinion would change if I actually knew which particular player was on the button. I just don't know that many tight guys there who are going to flat call a raise on the button with Aces or kings. There are players that would do it, but not the rocks, they are more likely to reraise to remove the limpers/blinds and get it heads up. Given the lack of a sidepot he is almost certainly not bluffing, so he has a hand, either 10's-Q's for the overpair, or he's flopped trips. Given the size of the checkraise he is getting over 3 to 1 for his money, so he should probably call you with any hand that he would make this bet with. Would you really check bullets on a board with this many draws, and only one pot size bet in the locker? I don't know, but I could certainly find a reason to call given the odds that I am getting, especially as in the context of that game your bet isn't particularly large. If your raise was a monkey into a 1500 pot that would be a tougher decision even though the pot odds would be the same.

The way you have played it almost gaurantees that all the money ends up in the middle. Maybe the lack of a sidepot means that this is the only way the hand can be played.

On a side note, I don't understand the pre-flop Maths. A raise of $100, would be a reraise in this game. Even with a couple of limpers a standard pot raise would be 18 pounds, about $35, so I didn't quite understand how you got to stick in such a large preflop raise.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so he may be inclined to fold a pair as high as QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

funny you should say that [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-19-2005, 11:13 AM

I think there was £12 in the pot, so I called £12 and raised another £24, making about $100 in the pot (prob more like $90 tho)

EDIT - you're right about the raise, there must have been a min-raise from MP which I re-raised - I'm pretty sure the pot amount is right on the flop. Obviously I can't call 12 and then raise 12 (PL not my strong point [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])
I wish I could raise more - I'm much more used to NL, I don't understand why The Vic doesn't do it? Maybe you know why???

The button I hadn't played with before, a young guy (not the ginger-haired one) who I think was playing a little too high despite his big stack.

You're right about the rocks though, they would re-raise me to try and commit me preflop.
I find it a pretty tough game there, I'm used to 100xBB max buy in online - they all seem to have at least 400xBB in that game. That's why if I do play, I buy in short and play very aggressively when I have a hand.

The button did muck QQ and wasn't too happy when no spade/A/K came and the BB took down the main pot with 86o [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

An older guy next to him (maybe his Grandad, they seemed to be related) said he misplayed the hand and should have bet the turn if it was a blank...it would have been harder for me to c/r all in that on a blank turn so I guess he was right.
The rest of the table rolled their eyes at me a little bit like it was a terrible play....some comments were made but I was too busy stacking the sidepot to notice [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I actually busted out not long after when I flopped 2 pair in the SB - tried to use my loose image to make it look like I was overplaying TPTK and got busted by trips which was a shame [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I don't get there too often but enjoy the competition, much more tough aggr players than online.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:18 AM

the guy with QQ played it fine. checking the flop to give you a free card when he is almost certainly ahead is silly.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:39 AM

I agree in a way but I think he should have bet more if he thought he was ahead and less if he wasn't sure.
I'm better suited to playing short stacked though so I could be wrong [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
He didn't really take note of how much I had behind which is why the amount he bet gave him a tough decision to lay it down.
If he had bet $80 instead I prob would have called and he would have won it on the turn with a decent sized bet I think.