Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2005, 06:19 PM

Default Super System 2: Expectations

When this book is eventually available on amazon and general book stores, what are you expecting to find in Super System 2 that you can't find anywhere else? It seems that there are many new and old books out there (and DVDs) but not much in the way of new content with each new release. Forums such as 2+2 seem to provide more in the way of unpublished/new information.

Is it because pros are only willing to divulge their "secrets" up to a certain point. Is a pro really going to divulge their entire game strategy in a book? Is it also because giving advice on flop, turn, and river strategies is much harder and situational than pre-flop strategies? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a poker pro or expert and I'll buy SS2 along with every other poker player in the hopes that there will be one new kernel of information to help my game. But everytime I buy a new book these days I feel like I'm "the sucker at the table."

I feel like playing and experience is the best way to expand upon the information in books I have already read along with discussing the game with other players. Having a poker pro as a mentor would obviously be a great way to expand one's game, but I don't think a new poker book is a substitute for a mentor. Even watching some of the televised tournaments has been more educational than some of the new poker books/dvds. Obvisouly, I haven't read SS2 but I'm not expecting any of the pros to divulge all their poker secrets and yet this will probably be the biggest selling poker book of all time.

So what concepts would you like to see in SS2 that you haven't seen before? And for those that have read it, what concepts didn't you see that you wish were covered?
Old 01-18-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Super System 2: Expectations

[ QUOTE ]
I feel like playing and experience is the best way to expand upon the information in books I have already read along with discussing the game with other players.

[/ QUOTE ]

combine this with thinking over mistakes made at the table and using books and these forums as reference for ways to improve your play, and you have a surefire way to improve your game exponentially.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:41 PM

Better to master (read, think, test, re-read, think more, etc.) one book than read many but not really absorb. It's playing AND thinking about poker that drives improvement. But it's perfectly possible to read without thinking.

ZB
Old 01-18-2005, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When this book is eventually available on amazon and general book stores, what are you expecting to find in Super System 2 that you can't find anywhere else? It seems that there are many new and old books out there (and DVDs) but not much in the way of new content with each new release. Forums such as 2+2 seem to provide more in the way of unpublished/new information.

[/ QUOTE ]

After hearing people here talk about it: Nothing. It seems there is nothing new under the sun, atleast not this time.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:43 PM

I got the book about a month ago from playing at doyle's website, and I must say that there is not that much new information. Except... The section on Triple Draw Lowball written by Daniel Negraneu is very informative, and from what I have been able to get from these forums, it is about the only thing on Triple Draw in print, as it is a very new game. Other than that I enjoyed the rest of the sections, but none really stand out, or break any other new ground.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:57 AM

Agreed. SS2 is only a must have if you want to learn to play triple draw.