Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2005, 12:21 PM

Default Monster flop - Should I still raise the flop?

I read all the time about these huge pots but this was my first. I cant see anything wrong with my play here except should I have raised and capped the flop? I was trying to keep customers. Thanks for the comments.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: (11 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

River: (21 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 33 BB
Old 01-18-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Monster flop - Should I still raise the flop?

Good hand to look at. In retrospect, yeah it is easy to say raise the flop, but if I am in your position, I think I go for the overcalls and then pound the turn and river. From the looks of the betting, the other two A's are probably in play. I don't think you have to worry about the K on the river but A3 would be annoying. Hope it worked for you.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:29 PM

I would have raised the flop if for no other reason than it looks suspicious when you pfr but then smooth-call a flop bet.

Regardless, it's pretty hard to misplay hands like this. Any line that doesn't involve you folding is probably okay.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:37 PM

You have 4 other players with you and the pot is huge. You are extremely vulnerable (well extremely is an overstatement, but you are vulnerable) and need to protect your hand.

Example: If the other (2) aces are out the field has (6)outs against you to make aces full. Now it is unlikely that you will get an ace to fold here, but you might and that would be huge for you. Additionlly who cares about customers if one or two aces are out, you will probably cap the flop and the turn in a hand that you are about a 70-75% favorite to win. There is no reason to slow play.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:38 PM

Nope, I think there's more value in a turn raise. If there was only 1 more to act after you, I would consider raising the flop, but here, take your two overcalls then push on the turn.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:41 PM

Before seeing the turn and river I thought "riase the flop" but after seeing the action I think "wait till the turn"
Old 01-18-2005, 12:42 PM

1. There is no way on God's green earth that an ace is folding to my flop raise. None.

2. Why would I want an ace to fold? He's drawing to 3 outs. Hero is a huge favorite over any ace (except A9 of course).

While my vote was for a flop raise, this is not even close to being a "protect your hand" situation.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:47 PM

I like it.

(And a naked Ace is drawing to 3 outs on the flop and 6 on the river, so if both are out, that's 9 outs against Hero here, same as a flush draw, and you'd jam against that.)

-d
Old 01-18-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. There is no way on God's green earth that an ace is folding to my flop raise. None.

2. Why would I want an ace to fold? He's drawing to 3 outs. Hero is a huge favorite over any ace (except A9 of course).

While my vote was for a flop raise, this is not even close to being a "protect your hand" situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I states in my post that it was unlikely an ace would fold here but if it did (and there were (2) out) that would be a good thing (I agree however that "protect your hand" was misused in my post). The main reason I raise here is because if 1 or 2 aces are out you will get plenty of action also the pot is already big.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:56 PM

So after reading these replies, was it correct for me to jam the turn and river? Last night it wasn't even a question for me, but now looking back on it, I see there were plenty of ways that I could have been beat.