Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2005, 05:16 AM

Default How Often Can You Make the Money?

Here is something I have great interest in. How often will top players make the money in all tourneys that they play (not counting Sit n Gos)? 50%? 80%? More?

I can't believe that even the best player could avoid a bad beat in a key situation occasionally. Any "good" players want to share thoughts?
Old 01-18-2005, 05:20 AM

Default Re: How Often Can You Make the Money?

Ever since I made a dedicated effort to imporoving my tourney game I have been moneying about 20% of the time in larger tournaments. This is over my last 50 or so tournaments so my sample size is not large. Hope this helps.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is something I have great interest in. How often will top players make the money in all tourneys that they play (not counting Sit n Gos)? 50%? 80%? More?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not trying to be rude, but if you thought it was even remotely possible that "top players" were cashing 80% of the time (or even MORE??!), you should take a little time and reevaluate your poker accumen.

Again, I'm not trying to drag you down (as many do around here). My point is that even permitting this thought into your head belies something in the way of fundamental misunderstanding.

Just a perspective for consideration.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:34 AM

I make the money a least 25% of the time.

I tend to be very aggresive in the first hour with my good hands this tends to lead to a early exit or enough chips to survive Bad Beats in the second hour.

No Mtt player on here can avoid bad beats, its just having enough chips to survive them. I played a trny about a month ago Where I was at about T15000 in chips and table leader, I was playing tight with blinds around 400. I picked up 4 good hands too end my night.

QQ vs. Villian KQs
AK vs. Villian QQ
JJ vs. Villian A10os
KK vs. Villian A6s

All hands where preflop all-ins, I lost them all. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I guess that makes me a bad player,lol.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All hands where preflop all-ins, I lost them all. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I guess that makes me a bad player,lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... you suck.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:37 AM

you could easily improve on your 20% if you didnt go in preflop all the time. (esepcially in the first few stages of the trouny) lol

-Back2good1
Old 01-18-2005, 01:05 PM

Stack sizes in those hands where either push or fold.

Mainly they where against smaller stacks around 9-11bb that raised to 5-6 xbb preflop, And I pushed over top of them. Except for the AK hand Where I raised after two limpers to 5Xbb the BB reraised me 5 more BB. and the KK where I was under 10XBB and push. I really could see no other way to play them, unless I called and folded on the flops?.