Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2005, 02:51 PM

Default Am I a calling station?

Button is very loose and pretty aggressive (I've seen him push a pure bluff all the way from flop to river.) He plays very erratically and tries to be tricky. He also seems to be steaming.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, Button calls, SB folds, Hero checks.

Flop: (2.40 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (2.20 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

River: (4.20 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: 6.20 BB
Old 01-17-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Am I a calling station?

Yes.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:43 PM

seems pretty awful to me. I guess you probably won this which is why you posted it, but I have to think you lose this more often than not against agression and those three face cards on the flop.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Results/discussion

He won with pocket 5's.

Getting more than 5:1 on the river against a LAG, I'm thinking A high plus missed draw makes this a close call, but a call nonetheless.

Considering what I've seen from this guy, I think I'm getting the most value on the turn from just taking my draw for one bet/bluff induction. I know "bluff induction" opens up a dangerous can of worms against most players, but in consideration of my flush draw and this guy's pushy aggression, I think it's a decent line.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:51 PM

This is a fine line against a lag.

You could also consider a turn checkraise semibluff. Since he seems to be steaming though this could backfire.

However, with the board as is it is hard to believe he doesnt have a piece of it. If you think he is likely to go this far with trash like or axo then a call down is fine though
Old 01-17-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Results/discussion

I guess your thinking might be right but all you can beat is a pure bluff here, in this example he was at least partially bluffing with the 5's and still won. If you think he's pure bluffing more than 1 time in 6, then your call is ok here, but otherwise it loses money. In my experience, there are very few people who will fire a bullet at all streets, particularly when checked to on the river as in this example. If i'm bluffing I go ahead and check the river behind you.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my experience, there are very few people who will fire a bullet at all streets,

[/ QUOTE ]

have you ever actually played party 5/10????????
Old 01-17-2005, 08:20 PM

re-read SSH. Ed miller, if i can remember correctly, says you need 10-1 against a LAG on the river HU if you can only beat a bluff. You could get a way, against a LAG, calling in pots 9-1 ,and 8-1 is a stretch, but this particular situation should be a more then obvious fold.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:55 PM

What page is this on?
Old 01-17-2005, 10:13 PM

There's no way you need 10-1 to call a LAG on the end with this hand. Maybe B and M but not Party 5-10 or 10-20 anyway. I quite like your line here as there is no way you will be able to push a steaming lag off a better hand with a turn raise

Gazza