Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2005, 01:44 PM

Default Advertising (Long; No Hand Content)

So, I'm at Canterbury Park for a 24 hour session and at around 1am a guy comes to our table and starts acting like a total nimrod. He kept saying he was drunk, which may or may not have been true (plus not only is he wearing sunglasses, he is wearing them upside down). On his third hand, on the river he pushes in his entire stack of chips and says "I am all in". "Sir, are you betting?", "I have the nuts, so I am all in". A few people at the table start yelling at him and the floor is called. He backs off, but is obnoxious the entire time. A few hands later at showdown he threw his cards down and yelled "Nuts" and showed T-high when called by 2 others. A little later (30 min) he accuses 2 people of colluding. (I had been at the table for 6 hours, clearly these 2 alleged colluders weren't colluding and didn't even know each other.)
I watch him limp with 48o and win a monster pot by making a retarded straight. He live straddles and wins another monster with A9s.

My question is this: Does is make sense to act like a wild man and advertise a few crummy hands in order to get the table to think you don't know what you are doing? Also, is this a good way to tilt the table? How do you deal with this guy? How do you play against him? One of the dealers told us that he thinks he is a pretty solid player. Can anyone who plays 48o be solid? Is this guy a genius or just a prick who should be beaten to death? He did win about 30BB in the hour or so that he was there, and then moved to 8/16, where he was much more subdued.

My limited experience (especially at this table), tells me that the majority of 6/12 players at CP don't need to be advertised to. They are easy prey who can be beaten by TAG play. Do I need to add advertising to my list of moves?
Old 01-17-2005, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Advertising (Long; No Hand Content)

Uh, bump. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2005, 04:31 PM

What game was this in? When I play 2/4 I play fairly fucktardedly since I'm pretty much there too have fun with friends and get drunk.

Sicne this guy was alone and acting kinda [censored]-ish too I dunno.

I think there are times in a live game where image plays can become more important than immediate EV but those times are fairly rare and only something I'd do if I planned on playing at the table for a long time.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What game was this in? When I play 2/4 I play fairly fucktardedly since I'm pretty much there too have fun with friends and get drunk.

Since this guy was alone and acting kinda [censored]-ish too I dunno.

I think there are times in a live game where image plays can become more important than immediate EV but those times are fairly rare and only something I'd do if I planned on playing at the table for a long time.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was in a 6/12 game. He had a buddy sitting behind him watching him. It was very odd.

I ask because I haven't played that much live, and want to become an excellent live player. (I've played about 200 hours live in the last 2 months and have found that most players at 4/8 and many at 6/12 simply have no clue). Maybe I am reading too much into what he was doing, but one of the floor guys told me that he was under the impression that the guy was an excellent player. Or maybe I am just reeling, as the 6/12 table I was at put some hideous beats on me throughout the session and I was starting to crack. I dunno. It has been my instinct to try to get the table to LIKE you, but maybe if they HATE you they will attempt to run you down when they have no odds to do so.

Maybe the guy was just a dick. They're out there.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:04 PM

Poker Bob, what is? So he was pretty much acting like me when you and Schwartz were sweating me play 3-6 or 4-8 before that tourney? I think it's fun to do every once in a while, and a brotha can get paid in full until they realize you are just playin.... Anyway, 24 hour session huh, impressive.

Talk to ya later Pbob,

Jake

PS, you here my bro won a seat on the ppm cruise, so we will be cruising in march, it's gonna be sweet
Old 01-17-2005, 07:02 PM

Describe this guy. I played against someone that sounded similar a few weeks ago, wore his glasses upside down and in general was pretty obnoxious.

I just had to crack up when he started calling me a rock.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:13 PM

He was about 6 foot with brown hair that he combed back. It wasn't long, but it wasn't short, either. He was a bit on the thin side. He has a leather Minnesota Gopher jacket.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:45 PM

I generally have a pretty nittish image and don't have much trouble getting paid off. I doubt players (at small stakes games anyway) pay enough attention to make meta-game stuff like advertising early on profitable.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I generally have a pretty nittish image and don't have much trouble getting paid off. I doubt players (at small stakes games anyway) pay enough attention to make meta-game stuff like advertising early on profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excuse my ignorance, but what does "nittish" mean?
Old 01-17-2005, 11:46 PM

Tight, nut-peddling, only plays very very strong hands, blah blah blah.