Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2005, 11:56 AM

Default Under pair on flop

10/20 live game.
I have 88 in Mid. UTG limps, folded to me, I call.
Folded to BB who raps.
3.5 small bets, 3 players.
I have observed original limper UTG leads at every pot he is in when checked to.
Flop come K, 2, 2 rainbow.
BB check. UTG bets, I raise.
BB folds, UTG calls.
My thinking is that I want to take the initiative away from UTG if he is holding AJ, AT or some such and not let him blow me off the hand on the turn with the $20 bet. I will also know if I get repopped by either player that there is probably a two out there.
Questions:
1) What do think of the raise there?
2) If a total blank comes on the turn, would you take the free card (as I did when a 6 came) or do you bet it? That is, is it worth not giving a free card to someone who has something like AT but risk getting check raised by someone with the K? (I wasn't afraid of the 2 as he was UTG and didn't play total garbage). A bet on the turn wins the pot unless the other player has a K or 2. There is $75 in the pot to win, so you are getting 3.75 to 1 on the bet here.
3) If you bet and get check raised, do you fold it (I would)?

The outcome of the hand is pretty goofy, so I leave it for later to not taint anyones thoughts.

I make this move occassionally when I have an underpair to one card on the board and a little pair on the board.

I guess the theory question is what do you think of the raise on the flop, and if it gets checked to you on the turn do you like a bet?
Old 01-17-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Under pair on flop

I like the flop raise and I would bet a blank turn. You were most likely ahead on the flop, a blank turn doesn't change anything, it just makes it even more important that you make him pay to see the next card.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:04 PM

First off I raise the flop. Since you didn't I like the flop raise. However I also bet the turn. You'll likely win the pot right there and you don't want to give a free card to a player who was very likely trying to steal this pot on the flop. If I'm check raised, I likely lay it down.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:47 PM

raising the flop is better than calling in most situations. you should also bet the turn to protect against overcards. if youre raised you can fold. if you are worried about being checkraised by a worse hand than check the turn and induce the river bluff.