Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2005, 12:30 AM

Default A3s: flopped straight and very heavy action

BB, UTG+1, and MP2 were all definitely better than your average 0.5/1 player. BB was aggressive postflop but on the passive side preflop, UTG+1 played a lot of hands but wasn't very weak postflop, and MP2 also loose preflop. None of them were particularly bad though. Button, however, is very loose preflop and very passive postflop.

Looking at the flop now, I think I should be capping, and I can't really recall why I didn't cap at the time. I think I may have had some idea about not scaring bets away, but looking at the flop action at this point that doesn't look like it would have been too likely anyway. I put BB on a set on the flop, and am not sure about the others. I thought they might be drawing with 76s or 3x (unlikely), but was pretty confused as to what else they might have (more sets? other straights? overpairs?) What do you put these players on here, given my (somewhat unspecific) reads?

The turn looks very good for me, I'm still behind 63 and I'm now also behind 86 (although neither seems particularly likely), but 76 is still drawing. I now also have the added benefit of the nut flush draw. I am now fairly sure that someone has a set, but the notion of chopping with A3 or losing to 63 has presented itself quite strongly now. On the flop I was quite confident that I had the best hand, on the turn I am still confident but slightly less so. Does the action indicate that I am behind, or should I cap here?

The river, although it is the highest card on the board, looks pretty raggy here. I'm still beating anyone capping/calling with a set, noone made a new straight or flush, someone might even have turned their overpair into a set, things are looking good. Heavy betting (with a B, not a P) is still continuing though, and I'm beginning to strongly suspect that I don't have the best hand. Obviously I can't fold here, but I was wondering whether my line on the earlier streets had been correct.

This is the most action I've ever seen, and quite frankly I didn't know how to play here. I saw that I had a strong hand, and I bet it accordingly, and in this sort of situation that may be the wrong move. Should I have been more wary and started to call down at some point, rather than capping everything (except the flop, silly me), or was I right to do as I did? There were only 2 hands that beat me by the river (unless I'm overlooking something), and I quite frankly don't know how likely it is that someone has one of those two hands. All in all, the main question I'm posing with this post is do you continue to bet your 3rd nut hand strongly all the way to showdown into 4 or 5 players, when the only hands that beat you are fairly unusual holdings? Thanks, any and all discussion/questions on any parts of the post are very much appreciated.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls, Button calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, Hero calls, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls, Button calls.

Turn: (11 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, Button calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

River: (31 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 47 BB
Old 01-16-2005, 12:38 AM

Default Re: A3s: flopped straight and very heavy action

I see no big problem here. If they want to raise/call all the way, make them happy by raising when you get a chance.

I think your hand is good here (unless BB has a better straight). If not, raise your hat and move on to the next hand.

Nice pot.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:43 AM

Bump.. maybe this is a less interesting hand than I thought, but let's give it one more chance at life
Old 01-16-2005, 04:58 AM

The only thing that concerns me here is that its the BB going nuts. Since he got the free play its possible that he does have the 3-6 to kick your ass. I might just call the 3 bet on the river, but I don't think you need to slow down anywhere before that. Certainly not on the turn where you also have nine outs to the nuts (ok seven outs to the nuts and 2 to the nut flush but a paired board).

Most likely you're looking at a set.

--Zetack