Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2005, 08:01 PM

Default Heads up Hand; Top trips with Q kicker

I realize since the blinds are only 1-2 this may not qulaify as high stakes, but since my opponent and i were both deep stacked i think it's worth posting here. I have no great reads on villian, he is capable of bluffing but not wreckless. I am usually a limit player, but beat these NL games at party. I am looking for some input here

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (2 handed) converter

Button ($342.9)
Hero ($289.8)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Button posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, Button (poster) calls $3.

Flop: ($10) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $10</font>, Hero calls $5.

Turn: ($30) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $30</font>, Hero calls $30.

River: ($90) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $45</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $90</font>, Hero calls $45.

Final Pot: $270

First of all, who thinks i should push heads up? What do you have the villian on? Does anyone take a different line on the turn?
Old 01-15-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Heads up Hand; Top trips with Q kicker

I think you made 2 mistakes here....
1 on the turn i would have checked raise.... if I had him on a set than why would I bet out on the river? I would have put him to the test for one I think its very easy for him to have two suited cards in this spot... 45s 56s or what ever but I think if I just call I already have him on a set and the king makes him full (only called after I checked my set..) I have to check raise here to find out where he is at... and if he is on two draws the str8 and the runner runner flush than he must pay for it because if a scare doesn't hit I'm feeling good about my hand....
2 if you dont use the check raise on the turn why bet out and only call after he raises you... (if you bet out than you have to think your hands money but if thats the case why only call.. ) I feel that betting on the river when yuo didn't check rasie on the turn kills you... what do you do if you check and he goes all in can you lay down the set and let it go??? and why make that bet when the flush and str8 are both out there???
I'm only looking at it the way I would have played it only
I have him on 2 suited cards... and after the turn he was on 2 draws... the only other thing i put him on is k6 maybe but i still have him in front.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:12 PM

Well there was no possible flush for starters, every suit was on the board. I dont neccesarily disagree with your logic about the raising the turn, but i really thought i had gin and didnt hand to push him off a weaker king or 99-jj. I led out the river thinking i was best, but the min. raise was scary and i opted to just call and save the last $150. The only draw he could have had was 45, which would have gotten there, but it's a little hard to give him credit for that after raising the flop and betting $30 on the turn.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:49 PM

sorry about that I was looking as your king [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]s as being on the board... then that changes all my thinking I maybe put him on a set or he had a K rag and his rag hit.... I still check raise on the flop if not I think maybe you made the correct play on the river.. ?Do you lay it down if he comes back all-in?? I might call an all-in bet and lay down the raise on the river I think maybe he had a MADE hand and he was trying to get the must he could from it???
Sorry once again for miss reading your post....
Old 01-15-2005, 10:45 PM

this should be in the small stakes forum. you are also not deep stacked.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:32 PM

I posted it there as well, i consider having 3x the buyin deep stacked. Productive post though.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:09 PM

I don't care either way, but FYI in many if not most cardrooms you can buy into a 1/2 game for $300. So I don't think most people consider these stacks deep.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:27 PM

All arguments about stack size aside, don't outsmart youself. There aren't ALWAYS monsters under the bed (especially heads up).
Old 01-17-2005, 03:14 AM

Yeah this hand is tough because my opponent showed strength thw whole way, but my hand is very strong. Also i am not looking to continue the debate about stack size, just saying that as many of you know, the party 1/2 is capped buyin at $100. Since both villian and i have triple that, i felt it was deep stackes, but only relative to that particular game i guess. I'm interested to hear if anyone else has opinions on the hand.