Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2005, 08:45 AM

Default 2 times: 2 days FULL TILT

Playing Poker Stars NL holdem tournament last week, the same situation occured on the first deal TWICE.
Very first deal my down cards were AKo. Threw out a $300 raise. BB goes all in.
Long story short - I obliged both times: I called - all in.
First time - BB turns over J10o : flop is garbage, turn shows J, river was irrelevant. I'm a goner.
Time #2 - my down cards AKo. First position I raised $450.
SB calls, BB goes all in. I check all in, now SB goes all in.
Cards reveal SB has AsQc, BB and I show AKo. I think it's going to be a lock chop and the the board gives moron with AQ 4 clubs for a flush knocking both of us out.
I understand Big Slick is a premium drawing hand and many times you are at the mercy of the board: But I've also seen idiots with garbage go all in many times winning the pot with a lucky flop.
Advice please - I know this situation will happen again.
Old 01-14-2005, 09:21 AM

Default Re: 2 times: 2 days FULL TILT

If you wan to hurt this kind of player you have to get out of the kiddie pool and start making some moves.

Cheers,

Swede
Old 01-14-2005, 09:44 AM

i think you are raising too much if these were your first hands of the tournament... 3-5 x the big blind is probably best.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:52 PM

Or wipe your ass with the buy-in for the tournament.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:23 PM

Let's face it, online poker is rigged.

This one time, I had AA. I go ALL IN and this idiot CALLS ME with 72 OFFSUITT!! The FLOP comes A72. I can FEEL the 7 coming off. The TURN is a K, so my hopes go WAAY up. But THEN, the 7 comes off on the RIVEr!!!!1! Why did he CALL ME>!!? It's like he KNEW it was coming. THEN he started babbling about PATTERN MAPPERS and RNGs and how he likes to eat BROWN TROUT. BROWN TROUT?! WTF??!?!?

I STOPPED playing AA now. I FOLD it.

I've started winning A LOT more now, which is good because I'm a PRO POKER PLAYER and I make much much $$ every year.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:37 PM

If you don't like being in a situation where you could get knocked out of a tournament on the first hand, stop putting yourself in that exact situation.

You're going to get called by loose players with inferior starting hands at that low level SNG. My assumption is that you wanted to get called by these inferior hands so you can get a big stack early off of these players (if my assumption is wrong, then I just don't understand why you're risking so much of your stack to collect 1st level blinds). However, it seems like you don't want to acknowledge there is a risk inherent in that type of strategy. Just because you hold AK does not entitle you to win the pot - you still need to make a hand (assuming the hand doesn't end up being decided by a high card, which is another advantage of AK). If you can't tolerate the times you lose this situation, you'll need to alter your strategy.

Moderating the amount of your raise is a good place to start, as a prior response suggested.

Good luck.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:39 PM

As you may have noticed the posters here don't take terribly kindly to bad beat stories. We all run into them and no one likes to hear about them. I won't comment on the hands you've posted, but you just have to realize that it's part of poker.

Take a break, a deep breath, or blow your wad at my table... whatever makes you happy.

cjx
Old 01-14-2005, 01:48 PM

This one time, I had AA. I go ALL IN and this idiot CALLS ME with 72 OFFSUITT!! The FLOP comes A72. I can FEEL the 7 coming off. The TURN is a K, so my hopes go WAAY up. But THEN, the 7 comes off on the RIVEr!!!!1! Why did he CALL ME>!!? It's like he KNEW it was coming. THEN he started babbling about PATTERN MAPPERS and RNGs and how he likes to eat BROWN TROUT. BROWN TROUT?! WTF??!?!?

Your made up story really sucks. Your AA still wins on that board. And it wasn't funny anyway.

Justin A
Old 01-14-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Your made up story really sucks. Your AA still wins on that board. And it wasn't funny anyway.

Justin A

[/ QUOTE ]

BUSTED!!!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2005, 02:07 PM

Even more, if you've had chili.