Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2005, 06:10 PM

Default AK out of position vs tight players

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: elindauer is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG (14 VPIP / 9 PFR) raises</font>, UTG+1 calls (15 VPIP / 6 PFR), <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Button calls (40 VPIP / 6 PFR), <font color="#CC3333">elindauer 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG caps</font>, UTG+1 calls, Button calls, elindauer calls.

Flop: (17 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">elindauer bets</font>.

And at this point, the interesting part of the hand came to a close. What do you think? I've only made two seemingly straightforward decisions in this hand, yet I doubted both at the time.

To give a hint to my confusion, does your action change if the bad player doesn't enter the pot preflop?

Thanks,
Eric
Old 01-13-2005, 06:17 PM

Default Re: AK out of position vs tight players

I like your play here, most likely the capper will raise causing utg +1 and the fish to call for 2 cold bets which will make them fold. U have a powerful hand here but i rather reduce the field of players here. if u check raised the utg capper then it gives the fish and utg+1 odds to call because they'll already be in for a bet, making the pot really juiced which u coulda done also.

I like your play, tell me how it turned out and wut ur thinking was
Old 01-13-2005, 07:06 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i would not reraise this one preflop
Old 01-13-2005, 07:56 PM

PFR 9% covers a lot of hands. The cap is a bit more worrisome, but you're a head way more often than you are behind here, as you only have to worry about 3 x AA, 1 x KK vs. 6 x QQ, 6 x JJ, 3 x AQs.

I'd almost check-raise the flop rather than bet, though.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:59 PM

"Flop: (17 SB) K, J, 3 (4 players)"

"you only have to worry about 3 x AA, 1 x KK vs. 6 x QQ, 6 x JJ, 3 x AQs.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:55 PM

Oops, guess it's 3 x AA, 1 x KK, 3 x JJ vs. 6 x QQ + 3 x AQs. Still in your favor, but not as much. Thanks for the catch.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:43 PM

Default Results: AK out of position vs tight players

[ QUOTE ]
i would not reraise this one preflop

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. That's the first thing I was wondering about. 9% PFR doesn't frighten me, but combined with a coldcall from a very tight player, my AK doesn't look like the autoraise it normally is.

I was probably going to just call, when the bad player coldcalled. Now I felt I needed to pop it. Any more thoughts on this?

On the flop, what do I want to happen? I guess the answer is that I want to thin the field in this big pot without having to pay through the nose if I'm behind. Betting into UTG seems to accomplish this well and feels right.

After UTG thinks and... folds(!) though, it felt rather like minimizing my wins while maximizing my losses...

Results: I bet every street, losing UTG on the flop, UTG+1 on the turn, and am paid off on the river by the bad player with something stupid. MHIG.

-Eric
Old 01-13-2005, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Results: AK out of position vs tight players

Ignoring what came on the flop for a minute, even 6% goes all the way down to AJs, KQs, and 88. Keep this in mind.

It would be nice if poker tracker could give you an "imputed 3B %" stat based upon cold-call vs. 3-bet. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

One thing about check-raising is that you can see what you're up against. If LP aggression factor is low (seems likely), then a bet by UTG and a raise signals danger. Even if it checks through, that keeps the pot small and maybe you can pick it up on the turn. That's why I think "check-raise."