Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Places to live for internet pro

Having finally taken the decision to go pro from August this year, I am considering where I should live. I currently live in England, which doesn't tax poker winnings, but the cost of living is high and it rains a lot [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Suggestions I have had so far include New Zealand, Australia, Brazil and Argentina. I am looking for somewhere I can live near a beach in a warm climate with low property prices and low cost of living. I prefer village life to city life. I have a family so decent healthcare, education and law and order are must haves. With my dependence on the internet, I also need somewhere with a reliable telecommunications infrastructure. It would also be good if the tax situation regarding poker winnings was the same as the UK. However, I don't need to be near any B&M venues.

I will be doing a lot of investigation into this in the next few months but the world is a big place and suggestions are welcome, especially from people already living in those places

I'll try and sort the serious replies from the witty ones and sarcastic ones [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks
Old 01-13-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Places to live for internet pro

Buenos Aires is nice.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:45 AM

I'd tell ya to move to Canada but you wont like the weather much :P

Other than the weather everything you asked for is here. Going to be hard to find all those thing wrapped in to 1 place.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:58 AM

I guess Australia would be your best bet. Maybe the BC coast in Canada that has pretty Englandesque climate. So not the ideal warm beach conditions, but not too bad.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:01 PM

BC was what I was thinking..
Old 01-13-2005, 12:19 PM

As a Vancouverite, I can say you'd find everything you're looking for here except weather. I lived in London UK for two years, so I can compare your weather and ours - and it's very similar. London was a bit more foggy and had a greater general sense of "damp" and was more humid in the summer. The air in Vancouver feels "cleaner" somehow because it's on the ocean. If you're ever here on a recon vist PM me and I'll show you around.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:32 PM

Can’t imagine why you want to leave England which has got to be one of the best places for an internet poker pro, good standard of living weather fine not too hot not too cold. Still if you want to go just stay clear of war zones and US.

Got a point about cost of living, but the real problem is the dollar not the pound. There might be an argument for somewhere with a currency linked to the dollar, but with friendly tax laws.

Maybe the government will convince the punters that UK is going to join the Euro and the pound will fall – can always hope.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:37 PM

Aruba.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:52 PM

A lot depends on whether you want to do this legally or not - you can't just choose to live anywhere you want in the world unfortunately. You have to go through the immigration services, which usually involves proving that you're providing a service that the country needs. Australia for example, has a list of 'needed professions'. Last time I heard it was something like doctors, nurses, teachers (and hairdressers for some peculiar reason!). I don't think poker player has ever appeared on one of these lists [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-13-2005, 12:58 PM

Oh the service we provide as pokerplayers. Every county should beg for us to come.