Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2005, 04:36 AM

Default Make this call?...

PS 10$rebuy. I took a big pot off villain a few hands ago. I think this was a bad fold on my part. I dont post much on MTTs, sticking largely to small or mid stakes NL, so I'm very curious to the thoughts.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB (t14398)
BB (t9767)
UTG (t3171)
UTG+1 (t14111)
MP1 (t5011)
MP2 (t7120)
MP3 (t5517)
CO (t4525)
Hero (t18813)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t200, MP2 calls t200, MP3 calls t200, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1000</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t800, MP3 calls t800.

Flop: (t3500) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t1000</font>, MP3 calls t1000, Hero calls t1000.

Turn: (t6500) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets t5120 (All-In)</font>, MP3 folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t11620

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
No showdown. MP2 wins t11620. </font>
Old 01-13-2005, 04:40 AM

Default Re: Make this call?...

Good fold.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to bed soon, but can you elaborate why? I'm really torn, I used up most my timebank on the hand to analyze it
Old 01-13-2005, 05:05 AM

A lone 8. A bigger 9. A poorly played over-pair. Tons and tons of possiblities have you beat here. I'm waiting for a better spot.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:07 AM

The bad part of this hand is that you put yourself in this situation. Don't you know that its all going in on the turn? With that in mind, you have to reevaluate your flop call.

Also: I assumed its out of the rebuy period, but you never specified whether it is or not... is it?
Old 01-13-2005, 10:24 AM

I don't like your flat call on the flop. I think with your stack you have the room to reraise here. Your preflop raise then call on the flop says over cards. His prefop and postflop actions indicate a small to mid pair to me. He would never put you on that 9 there. In his postion I would push any pair in that spot on the turn figuring you for the flush draw with overs.

A lot depends on your read of the player. More than likely if he has the 8 he isn't betting into you. If he's a LAG he could have A9s, but the key to this hand here is your big preflop raise. It disguises your hand very well. Reraising here on the flop will get most middle pairs to fold. Your flat call on the flop indicated weakness to your opponent who figures the 2 on the turn didn't help you and pushed. That being said, I call here and expect him to turn over 55-77's or a semi-bluff flush draw.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:41 AM

I'd push on the flop here. Maybe it's not right, but unless he's got A8 he'll be sweating, and if you lose you still have room to comeback. At this stage you're above average (I'm guessing it's still below T10.000, but far behind top stacks, I'd want to quickly become even bigger chip-boss at the table, and start slapping around to work up my stack. You don't have that much time invested in the tourney, so I'd take some healthy chances at this stage. That's just me.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The bad part of this hand is that you put yourself in this situation. Don't you know that its all going in on the turn? With that in mind, you have to reevaluate your flop call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree and disagree. I opted to use my position and reevaluate on the turn. I considered folding the flop also. and raising. Thought all were valid.

What changed my opinion of a raise to just a call was middle villain's call; he was shortstacked, and although I HIGHLY doubted villain #1 had an 8, I thought he could very well be trapping w/ trips. So I wanted ot see HIS action on the turn.

The 2h was one of the biggest blanks out there, and if I thought I was drawing to like 2 outs / whatnot, I should've folded the flop. But raising the flop has merit.

[ QUOTE ]
Also: I assumed its out of the rebuy period, but you never specified whether it is or not... is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, blinds 100/200 is the first level out of the rebuy period I think.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That being said, I call here and expect him to turn over 55-77's or a semi-bluff flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good read
Old 01-13-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd push on the flop here. Maybe it's not right, but unless he's got A8 he'll be sweating, and if you lose you still have room to comeback.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd rather push with like a missed AK or something; with T9, I'm only going to get called by a better hand.

Unless he thought I would only push with missed overcards, and would call with like small pairs...

Realistically, I put him on A9s, T9s, 8x, or a small pair if he called.
I thought he could be betting a small pair, JT, Axflush, or perhaps some combination of flush/straight.

I didn't think he would lead into me with an 8, but short stacks call o nthe flop made me think he had one.

When he folded the turn I should've gone with this read. I folded, even given 2:1, thinking I was up against A9.

He opted to show J7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] , so atleast I can pretend he would've outdrawn me.