Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2005, 01:47 AM

Default What do you think about in traffic?

Hey, c'mon now, you know I meant poker. Keep it clean [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

I've seen a couple of recommendations here on 2+2 to make boring stretches of time (traffic, DMV waits, interminable conference calls) better by thinking about various poker situations and how you'd handle them. Seems like a pretty good idea to me as it both improves my play and takes my mind off how bored I am at the moment.

So, what kind of situations do you conjure up for yourself? Hands that crippled or busted you in a tourney last night? Totally imaginary hands? Role playing as a maniac or rock?
Old 01-13-2005, 03:58 AM

Default Re: What do you think about in traffic?

I picture capping with the nuts vs 5 players.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:09 AM

When I'm trying to last longer to please a woman, I think about flopping the nut straight and capping it 7 ways on a 2-flush board.

~D
Old 01-13-2005, 11:11 AM

lol...good question...I think about my four aces getting whipped by a royal on the bad beat table...ahhh...I hate losing with four aces...but I could make an exception.

Rob
Old 01-13-2005, 11:26 AM

I think about playing some hands with Phil Hellmuth.

First, in a hand I am not in, he berates a player with something along the lines of "No professional would raise me there..." and I turn around and say "Phil, shut the !$# up."

Then I get aces UTG and limp, it is folded around to Hellmuth in the small blind and he raises, big blind folds and I push sending Phil into a tizzy.

Then I get ducks in the big blind, folded to Hellmuth who raises. I call. Flop is A22. Hellmuth bets, I call. Turn is a K. Hellmuth bets and I call. River is a ten. Hellmuth checks, I bet, he raises, I push.

I have a long commute.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:33 PM

The part of my game that I'm working on these days is maintaining focus. Really it's all about staying in the present moment.

That's easier said than done, especially in ring games, which can be as boring as being stuck in traffic.

So when I'm in stuck traffic, I spend my time focusing on being stuck in traffic.

It doesn't have to be boring. Look around, there is an infinite number of things to see. Stay present.

Then, when I'm at the poker tables. I (try to) spend my time focusing on the hand in front on me. That is what helps my poker game the most.

And it also keeps me from getting into an accident.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I'm trying to last longer to please a woman, I think about flopping the nut straight and capping it 7 ways on a 2-flush board.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't work for me. I have to think about bad beats: flopping trip jacks that fill up on the river, only to lose to quad 5's.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
....I have a long commute.

[/ QUOTE ]

and a serious disdain for Phildo
Old 01-13-2005, 03:23 PM

I try to think of my favorite hands I've played. The ones like check-raising 3rd st in stud with rolled up Kings, then check-raising again on 4th st when the 4th K hit me. I get wood just thinking about that hand.

Or my other favorite stud hand, I'm dealt rolled up 7s, and get running diamonds to make the 7-J straight flush. Everyone kept looking around the board saying "but all the diamonds are already out"

Or heads up a few weeks ago at a $1/$2 table, we put in 33 raises preflop when I had AA. Throughout the entire hand, the only buttons I clicked were bet and raise.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:57 PM

I think of how nice it would be to have various forms of artillery at my disposal that could effectively rid the roads of traffic for good, leaving me to drive 150 MPH down the freeway in peace.

But, that's me. I guess poker can work, too. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]