Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2005, 04:31 PM

Default 10-20 NL Trips Hand

First some feedback on the players.

Button is a somewhat aggressive player, who often will bet the flop regardless of whether it hit him. He's also slightly loose.

SB is a rather solid player, I think. Pretty tight and aggressive.

10-20 NL, 4 handed

UTG folds, Button (5K) raises to 80, SB (2K) calls, I (1500) call in the BB with 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

<font color="green">Button has been raising my blinds quite a few times, and SB calling allows me to have some decent implied odds and good relative position to the PFR.</font>

Flop ($240): 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB checks, I check, Button bets out 140, SB calls, I min raise to 280, both call.

<font color="green">Now I almost never minraise, but this seemed like a good spot for it. If someone's drawing for a gutshot, they can take my stack. I only started with 75 bb, so I think my best move is to try to commit them to their likely overpair hand.</font>

Turn: ($1080) T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]

SB checks, I bet out $400, Button calls, SB pushes all in (around 1000 more), I call my $750 off, Button folds.

<font color="green">As I mentioned earlier, SB is a relatively solid player. Button I think has an overpair, and that suspicion was confirmed by his fold after we were all in. Given my odds to outdraw a better 5x, I think a call is necessary. The only hands that have me in bad shape are 99 and TT.</font>

Comments on all streets appreciated.

One more question: change the turn T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] to T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Can this be laid down with a good conscience?
Old 01-12-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: 10-20 NL Trips Hand

I don't love the feeling I get from this hand, so I'll let others elaborate on all streets..but...

To your last question, the T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] makes little if any difference to this hand - The only holding SB could have to make this relevant is A5. If you were going to lose with your trip 5s, then the flush won't help you either (unless he holds exactly A5).
Old 01-12-2005, 04:47 PM

SB checks, I check, Button bets out 140, SB calls, I min raise to 280, both call.

Next time you do this, turn your hand face up so as to further clarify the situation to your opponents.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Next time you do this, turn your hand face up so as to further clarify the situation to your opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly.

Why not bet the flop and let the agressive button raise you?
Old 01-12-2005, 06:34 PM

You hit this flop hard, but I'm not crazy about the pre-flop call. Since you played, however, you have to bet the flop.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:43 PM

Thanks everyone for comments.

I definitely messed this hand up big time.

I talked about it with a friend and here's what we concluded. Given the way I played it before the turn call all in, there is only one hand that the solid SB player could have that he could play that way, and that's 99. TT is a very slim possibility.

He can't have 5x because he would have either fired out on the flop, check raised the button's flop bet, or reraised my min check raise. He had three opportunities to get money in with a slightly vulnerable holding, and elected not to in any of those cases.

An overpair is very unlikely. AA-QQ would likely have reraised preflop, and certainly he would not push in on the turn against a bettor and a caller who seem like they'll go to felt.

Therefore, the only realistic holding he could have is 99.

Maybe a slightly tough laydown, but one that definitely has to be made.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Against just Button I think this would have been fine. I have to expect to be ahead here because he preflop raised and is very unlikely to have a 5. Much more likely he has an overpair.

Against two opponents, I agree that it was not a good play as I didn't gain any information about SB's holding. However, if I make a real check raise on the flop, and SB reraises all in, there's enough doubt left to call.

The way the hand played out though, he knew exactly what I had and I should have been able to figure out what he had based on that.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not bet the flop and let the agressive button raise you?

[/ QUOTE ]

In retrospect, betting out the flop is a better play because he might raise overcards, and hopefully I can get him committed to calling me down (assuming SB folds).
Old 01-13-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You hit this flop hard, but I'm not crazy about the pre-flop call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I think the preflop call is fine for a few reasons.

1. $60 is only 4% of my stack.

2. SB called as well.

3. I have good relative position to PFR.

4. I had been folding a lot to his raises on my blind, so he probably will put me on high cards now that I called.

Given those conditions, I think it's almost an auto call.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:13 PM

How do you have good position? He has the button.

If you hit hard with this hand it's going to be obvious, and it's going to be hard to extract value with it out of position. And if you hit a draw (which is most likely), it's hard to continue as he's going to fire a decent-sized bet and you won't have odds to continue (implied or otherwise). Moreover, he's open-raising from the button. He doesn't have to have a monster. He doesn't even have to have two high cards. You have jack for implied odds (unless you put him on a big hand or know him to be a habitual bluffer who takes stuff too far).

I also agree that SB's double cold-call on the flop is extremely suspicious, especially since a flop check min-raise against two opponents is generally a monster.