Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2005, 04:06 PM

Default AKs - Why do I feel so lost heads up?

Sometimes, I feel like I have the other guy right where I want him, even with a Ten-high... and sometimes, when I have a good hand I feel like every move is wrong...

AKs is my biggest losing hand (-1.83BB/h, 25 occurrances at 1/2)

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (7.75 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 9.75 BB

I bet the flop because i've found you can either buy the pot outright here or set up a turn buy with it. No flop bet and you won't get him to fold, ever, even with nothing.

I bet the turn as a semi-bluff, hoping he'd fold TT/AQ/AK. Check/fold or check/call the river?

In retrospect, there weren't any busted draws (which I gain nothing from betting into anyway), there weren't any PPs folding here, after calling a flop and turn bet, at best I can get a bet out of AQ or get AK to fold here, both of which are of dubious value.

So, do I check/call with my AK-high? Or let this one go on the river?

-d
Old 01-12-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Re: AKs - Why do I feel so lost heads up?

I think since you were called on the river, you're most likely beat(if he's a reasonable player). Unless your opponent knows you'd bet an unimproved AK, he would call with his AK.

I'd check/call.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:40 PM

A lot of people overplay AK, so you're not alone to be sure. This is a good example of how to overplay it though. Keep in mind that you don't have anything really until you hit something.

Let's look at the hand. Do you really want to cap this PF? What kind of hands would your opponent 3-bet with? Chances are you may be up against a real hand here.

Out of the gate, in a lot of cases it's the right move to follow up your PF raise with leading at the pot. Generally, this is not the case though when you're leading into a PF raiser. He's not going to get scared off and thus bite on your bluff so easy.

Since he did call you though on the flop, unless he's a calling station, you're probably beat. Check the turn and fold the puppy if he bets. Your AK looks pretty but it's only good if you can hit it, and you have to get rid of it when you're behind with it.

You keep betting on the river, and he keeps calling you. Remember, with each miss, your hand gets weaker. At this point a random hand would beat you.

AK needs to be one of your top money making hands. Ease up on playing it and you will find that this will turn around.

KC
http://kingcobrapoker.com
Old 01-12-2005, 04:41 PM

This is a tough situation. You're almost always correct to bet any flop with unimproved AK, this is certainly no exception.

The turn brings you a 4 flush, so combined with your overcards, a turn semi-bluff is definitely in order. Since CO calls the turn, I put him on a pocket pair. When you don't improve on the river, I check/fold since if he got that far, he's likely to call another bet and show you the winner.

Letting go of unimproved overcards can be tough, but it is something you need to learn to do if you wish to improve your game. People call too often in these limits to warrent the browbeat strategy.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:41 PM

You really fold this turn with the nut flush draw and 2 overcards?

-d
Old 01-12-2005, 04:45 PM

This is where a read means everything. I would definitely check the river. Against some opponents I would call, against others I would fold. Default would be fold.

For fun, against the right opponent, I would have checkraised the turn and led the river, that might get a pair to fold.

-DeathDonkey
Old 01-12-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For fun, against the right opponent, I would have checkraised the turn and led the river, that might get a pair to fold.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite way to play an unimproved AK vs any player that can actually lay down pocket pairs in a limit game. Especially with the draw, this is a good move.

As for your play, I woulden't cap it out of position to begin with, and probably check/call the flop. This sets up a potential check-raise on the turn if you either hit or make a four flush to semi-bluff. This would look less like an unimproved AK and more like a set or something of that nature.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is where a read means everything. I would definitely check the river. Against some opponents I would call, against others I would fold. Default would be fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

A read would help, but this hand played HU, and the opponent has done nothing but react to the betting. A check on the river invites a bluff, the pot is laying nearly 9-1...I think the default would be to call, no?
Old 01-12-2005, 05:07 PM

I think you played this fine up until the river, (which may have been fine also, I don't know).

What to do there depends greatly on your opponent. Against some you should check and fold. Against others you should check and call. Against others you should bet...
Old 01-12-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you played this fine up until the river, (which may have been fine also, I don't know).

What to do there depends greatly on your opponent. Against some you should check and fold. Against others you should check and call. Against others you should bet...

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't imagine hardly any opponents it be worthwhile to bet against. I think the % of opponents who call this bet with a hand Hero beats is very very small.