Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Small PP hand

Full live game. Good mix of loosies, tighties and combination of agro's. I've been tight and have raised in more than a few of the hands I've played.

Lag limps from EP, I limp in LMP with 33, tight passive button limps, tight passive SB completes and lag BB checks.

Flop 777. Checked to EP lag who bets, I raise, button folds, SB calls 2 cold, BB and lag fold.

Earlier the SB had flopped a FH out of the BB. He ch/c'd the flop and ch/r'd the turn. He's done some chasing, but hasn't coldcalled much to do it.

Turn is a T. Check - Check.

River a 6. Check - Check.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Small PP hand

Given your description of him and the action so far, I think SB will call enough with Ax to make this river worth betting.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:46 PM

"Given your description of him and the action so far, I think SB will call enough with Ax to make this river worth betting."

You think he figures I'd have less than Ax, or do you think he figures he might have a better A than mine?
Old 01-12-2005, 05:29 PM

If youre that sure, bet the turn and fold to a checkraise. You can go around handing out free cards to your vulnerable hand.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:35 PM

I think this is a clear river bet, he would bet anything that beats you after you checked behind on the turn, wouldn't he?
Old 01-12-2005, 06:00 PM

"I think this is a clear river bet, he would bet anything that beats you after you checked behind on the turn, wouldn't he?"

Possibly. But would he call the river with a hand I could beat? Value bet here is having 22 or A high call me.

This guy is passive and I figured he'd call with rather than bet a range of mid to small PP's that beat me. When a T hit the turn, I think he'd check/call rather than bet 99-44.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:34 PM

"bet the turn and fold to a checkraise"

My reason for the post was the turn check. Looking back I'm still not sure if it was worth a bet. If he had a hand, that's when he would've made his move and c/r'd. I didn't want to pay 3 bets to see the river, but also didn't want to fold to his big A if he thought I was playing any A.

But then again I think he probably would've just called the turn with a big A. It was a choice between possibly collecting 1-2 bets or possibly losing 1-3 if I wanted to see the river which, after raising the flop and getting what I wanted, was something I wanted to do.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:45 PM

It seems like betting the turn is the right play to me. Was the cold call that indicitive of a bigger pocket pair?? Obviously if hes not on one checking is terrible. If you do check/check the turn and he checks again on the river, are you getting called down enough by Ace high or 22 to make betting the right move? Whats the right way to figure this out? Seems like all AK, AQ, AJ hands would be likely to call you down on that board with that action. But the number of hands that will call/raise you when you are beat are probably more numerous in this case right? I dont think the check on the river is that bad, but I think the check on the turn might be wrong.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:57 PM

I would bet the turn and fold if checkraised. If he calls on the turn I am checking behind on the river.

Since you checked the turn I would bet the river here. It is likely he will call you with acehigh due to your turn check. However, if you description is indeed tight passive for him this might not be the case.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was a choice between possibly collecting 1-2 bets or possibly losing 1-3

[/ QUOTE ]

While this is true, the statement ignores the money already in the pot, and the fact that you are giving your opponent infinite odds to win the pot the percentage of the times his overcards hit. Unless there is a very high probability of him being on a bigger wired pair, I dont think checking here can be correct.