Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Auto Betting/Raising..

Hello,

I ran across a few players last night which made me wonder..Player number 1 seemed to play decent but I noticed that when he used the auto bet or raise feature and he got called down he was on a bluff or a draw..

Player number 2 seemed like a LAG. I was in a hand against him and he was using the auto bet and raise feature. Normally I would have gotten out of the hand but I was curious to see what he had so I called him down only for him to show me a flopped set.

In your experience players using this feature normally use it when they have a monster, a bluff, or use it out of pure laziness, etc??

Also do you ever use this feature and why??

Thanks..

Chips
Old 01-12-2005, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Auto Betting/Raising..

It depends on the player. If you get a tell on someone who is using this, it's to your advantage of course.

It's probably not a good idea to use these things, as opponents may pick up on it the same way you are. Preferably, you're keeping the time in decisions fairly consistent, and perhaps mixing it up a bit as well.

KC
http://kingcobrapoker.com
Old 01-12-2005, 07:08 PM

Typically I'll see the auto bet/raise from a weak made hand trying to get people to fold (ie overpair on scary board, top pair on scary board etc). This isn't true 100% of the time though...
Old 01-12-2005, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In your experience players using this feature normally use it when they have a monster, a bluff, or use it out of pure laziness, etc??

Also do you ever use this feature and why??

Thanks..

Chips

[/ QUOTE ]

If I have reason to believe that the player is inexperienced and normally timid, I usually give them credit for a big hand when they auto bet/raise. Also, sometimes maniacs use it. I've seen it used in a few different ways, and I don't think you can use it to get a read on an unknown player.

Personally, I use autobet/raise (I never use the "autoraise any") quite a bit while multitabling. It's useful if you have a clear-cut decision on one table, but need to think about the action on another.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:23 PM

I sometimes use auto bet if I plan on betting if checked to, but calling or folding if it's raised before me (i.e. I have MPTK in late position). Therefore, I don't put a lot of stock into auto-bets. However, if someone auto-raises when the person directly to their right bets, then they have auto-raise any checked and I fear their hand much more.