Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Remote Desktop Connection

Anyone use this or can help troubleshoot? I'm trying to run it so I can access my home computer from work/parents houses/friends houses. I am running norton personal firewall and assume that this will interfere with connections.

Also, are their any security risks associated with using RDC? Do you use VNC, GoToMyComputer or any other remote desktop software? Thanks,

Krishan
Old 01-12-2005, 10:40 AM

Default Re: Remote Desktop Connection

I used it to help my sister. It was pretty slow, even though we're both on broadband but it worked. I was running Norton Firewall but it didn't cause any problems and I didn't need to modify any settings. Of course yours is the client PC so I'd imagine you would need to change your firewall settings.

Not very helpful was I. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2005, 11:01 AM

You need to open up port 3389 on the server box (the machine you are trying to connect to) firewall.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:24 AM

I use VNC both personally and for my day job. To be safe, I always leave the port closed on my firewall until I need to use it. (I remote in to my firewall, open the port, then fire up VNC).
Old 01-12-2005, 11:29 AM

If you are planing on using it alot and leaving the firewall open I would HIGHLY recommend changing the port that remote desktop listens on. Normally it is port 3389 and it is very easy to scan for it. Follow this link and change the port to something else, use a port above 1024 and you will be fine.

Change Remote Desktop Port

Oh by the way when you change the port you will have to put that in your client software. You just put the IP address like normal and then do [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]ort ( so put a colon right after the ip address and then the port number, no spaces)
Old 01-12-2005, 01:04 PM

What he said.

I use Remote Desktop to play poker while I'm at work.
Our work firewall is pretty tight, so I set my home machines to run RD on common ports (i.e. ports 443,21,23,80).
Now I can connect to my home computer and play and all that shows up in the activity log is that I was connected to some IP address on some common port.
Nothing to raise red flags.