Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2005, 12:21 AM

Default Is this legal?

I've played in a few live ring games in which this one guy has always lost terribly to me. Saw him out at a local bar one night and we struck up a conversation. I'd had a few beers and basically told him his playing skills were lacking. He smiled and asked if I played online poker (I don't). He proceeded to tell me that he has developed a method for winning big. He's a computer geek and is a sysop at a local company. He has over thirty computers at home that he plays online poker with. According to him, he signs on as 4 or 5 different players at a time under different accounts, and all of the "players" will play at one 8 handed table. Ergo, collusion with a twist. When he can see 4 hands at once, he's able to work it so one of his identities wins big. So - is this legal? Is it commonplace?
Old 01-12-2005, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Is this legal?

not a bad idea, huh? what's the big deal? i don't see a problem with it.

do you??
Old 01-12-2005, 12:26 AM

In the sense that there is no way that this person would be prosecuted in a US court of law for what he is doing, then yes it is legal. Surprisingly, collusion on online poker has not been high on Congress' to-do list.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:29 AM

Dude, pretty much all of us do this. Seriously. This is commonplace. Not a big deal at all.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:33 AM

Oh my god, he multi tables? What a concept! 10X as many hands an hour.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:33 AM

its possible. however if hes as bad as you say i wouldnt worry even if he was controlling all of the other players at the table. i also dont know which site has 8 max tables. all ive seen are 10 and 6 and heads up.

at the lower limits its not worth colluders time. the higher staked games are where they would play and any decent player at that limit would catch onto what they were doing very quickly unless they were very suble about it.

i played in a 5/10 6 max game the other night where i felt that 3 of the players were colluding. i cought onto very easily and im no pro. i just reported my suspicion and the hands in question and moved to another table. that was the first time in 3 years online that i suspected collusion. so its not common. the funny thing is i left the table with a nice profit because i flopped quads and they tried to trap me with raises when one of them flopped a full house..lol. the other 2 folded on the river like they had done a couple times earlier. i looked back at the hand history and they had nothing.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:42 AM

Well, I don't do online poker but, if I were in a live game and four players began showing their hands to each other I'd have to shoot a few kneecaps. If I had control of 4 of the 8 (or 10, or however many) hands, the other players are going to lose their money to me. If a good player were doing that to me, there would be no way of beating him/her. I guess that I'm just a little naive to online poker.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:00 AM

people try it. people get caught. people lose all their money.

also, in your scenario, one of the MANY MANY security measures in place would pick up the frequency of all these bogus accounts playing together. it would last 10 minutes, and you are done.

more importantly, anyone who tries this is a piece of scum and is hurting the very game that feeds the pros that post here.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:01 AM

Just in case it wasn't clear, sarcasm is present is a number of the replies. This is obviously cheating and would certainly get him banned from whatever sites he's doing it on if he's caught. If he's logged on to multiple accounts on the same site with the same IP address, that could set off a red flag. Most poker sites have systems they use to detect likely cheaters, but there are, no doubt, some people getting away with some cheating. For the most part, it doesn't seem to be prevalent enough to do serious harm to most players, but there must be some cases where it does.

Laws relating to online poker are fuzzy at best and would depend on where he is and where the poker sites are.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:16 AM

flat out cheating