Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2005, 04:14 AM

Default At what point do you re-evaluate your play?

I don't want to say what my current losing streak is, but here's the deal: Through my first 750-800 SNGs I was 39% ITM and 20% ROI with $20s and the last few $30s at PP. I then went on a losing streak in the $30s, moved back to the $20s. At what point do I need to re-evaluate my play and not strike up a streak to a bad run of cards? As I said I don't want to comment on what my current run is, I want responses to be unbiased as to what it is. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: At what point do you re-evaluate your play?

The following would (or have) cause me to critically evaluate my game or try to get some other opinions of my play:

1.) A down swing of > 20 buyins if you are playing the $22 or $33 levels as you mention.

2.) A stretch of 200 SnG's where you are at or near break even.

3.) Most important- you THINK you are playing correctly with proper SnG specific strategy, but you don't have solid confidence that you KNOW you are playing correctly. SnG strategy is simple to learn but difficult to master IMO.

GL,
-EV
Old 01-11-2005, 12:47 PM

Well after my stretch of ~800 $20s and $30s (almost all $20s, maybe 50 $30s at the end) I was as I said about 20% ROI. My last 186 (first 75 or so $30s then dropped back down) I'm down $833 for an ROI of -16%. During this time, I have seen my 1sts drop to almost nothing. During this time, 10 (5%) 1sts, 19 (10%) 2nds, and 33 3rds (18%) for a mere 33% ITM. The rest of my %s are: 17/17/13/12/4/2/2. FWIW, I purposely chose the last to start basically where this streak started.

I do not feel I have altered my play much, although I'm sure during this streak I have played a little worse at times purely out of frustration. It simply seems (to me) that I'm getting extremely unlucky late. For instance last night I lost several large favorites to go out in 4th when had I won it I would've had over 6,000 with 3 left. Then twice last night (once for 4th, once for 3rd) I lost to someone in the BB with AA, once when I had AKs and once 910s simply trying to steal from the SB. If anyone has any advice for me I'd appreciate it. If this continues much longer, I am going to analyze my hand histories and look at every all-in I've made during the tournament, whether it be me pushing or me calling a push.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:59 PM

I recently went on a SHORT (in terms of time, it was perhaps 60-100 SNGs) cold streak. I too, thought it was the cards. I am too new to think (only played about 500 SNGs) that I have already learned "proper" SNG strategy. I therefore have been reconsidering my strategy. The following was my thought process, that I think helped me out of my cold streak.

SNGs are dominated by your PreFlop strategy more than any other part of the game. So these were my introspectice questions.

How loose am I playing in levels 1-3? How many hands do I play? What is my table image? How 'good' is my Folding Equity when I need it? How many times have I lost on suckouts to bigger stacks - who might not have called if I had better Folding Equity? Am I a patient player?

Then I read the following thread (This is literally just days ago). And it got me thinking. I want to reinvent my PreFlop strategy. You'll see my posts in the thread. I think minimally, this will get you back on the 'right path.'

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...mp;sb=5&o=
Old 01-11-2005, 01:01 PM

I think its tough to analyze you own play and even tougher to do while in the midst of a bad run. I'd ask some of the veterans to analyze 5-10 of your last tourneys. Or post them so you can get some comments. I also like to take a break when I hit the wall and play some other forms of poker.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:04 PM

Unfortunately, I definitely don't think that I can cure my streak by changing my PF strategy. I think if anything my post-flop play has been what has caused this, as sometimes I make very bad decisions to call large bets when I don't want to dump I good PF hand that is likely beat on the flop. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen to me (particularly with a nice sized PP when an overcard or especially pair hits).
Old 01-11-2005, 01:07 PM

instrospectice = instrospective.

I'm usually a good speller. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2005, 01:11 PM

WarDekar - read the thread.

Your response sounds a lot like how I was thinking...

There is not enough chips to "play" around with your postflop strategy. Therefore, get a better preflop strategy.

If you can't fold what you think is a "good hand," then make sure you have "better hands."
Old 01-11-2005, 01:12 PM

I also think that it's tough to analyze your own play, especially during a bad streak. FWIW I just got PokerTracker, during my last 291 SNGs (most I had on my computer in the HHs) I have profited only 80 chips through the first 5 levels on average (I have profited in all 5 levels total, although only level 5 is significant with on average 50 chips gained) and then dropped all but 1 level thereafter. I used to think my short handed play was reasonably well, I think I generally have a good feel for stealing, although I think I call other peoples' all-ins probably a bit too much. I really do believe I have lost way more than my fair shair of coinflips during this time, is there an easy way to look up such a thing in PT?

While I no longer have my tourney summaries on my computer I don't think since PT deletes them when they get imported, I'll save my next 10-20 and have them looked over if anyone would be so kind.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I definitely don't think that I can cure my streak by changing my PF strategy. I think if anything my post-flop play has been what has caused this

[/ QUOTE ]

Mistakes made pre-flop can can put you in position to make bigger mistakes post-flop. I have no idea what your problem is, of course.

If you PM me with a tournament summary, I'll certainly give you my 2 cents.