Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 10:34 PM

Default Very new so its not bragging

Again, I'm new to bigbet. In this hand I flopped a set and stacked an overpair. Since this type of situation virtually always creates a big pot, please run thru my thinking here and let me know if I approached this the right way. I have $45 and so does the opponent. The game is Party $.5BB NL hold'em.

I had 8c 8s on the button. It was folded to me and I raise to $2. ColdCallOutofPositionGuy calls. CrackedbyUnderpair raises to $5. I call expecting to bust this guy if I get a set, and ColdCallOutOfPositionGuy has us both covered and will take the worst of it on the flop most likely.

CCOOPG calls the raise as well.

Flop: Jd 8h 4s
Ding! This board has a possible straight draw but no flush draw. I hit a set of 8's and am probably crushing the opponents right now, espectially the PFR since the only hand that has >2 outs is JJ, which is killing me. The PFR has AK or QQ-AA.

Pot is $15. PFR leads for $10. I raise to $20 (does a min-raise make me a bad person?) CCOOPG folds and PFR pushes. I call, I win, yay. He had QQ.

My thinking in not smoothcalling the flop was that I was going to lose action from AK on the turn unless an A or K hit, and I'd really rather not have an A or K hit anyway, since i'll get stacked by AA/KK and will stack AK probably, but I've got almost half his stack already here. So I don't think I want to wait around for a big face card on the turn. I want to make him push without seeing what falls.

Is this thinking good? Perhaps it could be balanced by the idea that I may have blown away CCOOPG when he became scared of getting whipsawed.

Perhaps there is little point to a slowplay since I am goign to get some action since it would be hard to have outflopped an overpair on this board. Not easy to flop a set/2pair. So I think raising was okay. What do you think?
Old 01-10-2005, 10:55 PM

Default Re: Very new so its not bragging

Looks fairly standard. Depending on how aggressive the person is and how often they will make lay downs could affect the best line.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Very new so its not bragging

fairly standard.

whether you should minraise or raise more or raise all in depends on which one you think will most likely get his chips in on the flop so its player dependent.

If you had said the villain had KK. I would have said I might have been that villain.

incidentally. if he had raised preflop to a bit more say $8+, I would advocate folding preflop as you don't have the implied odds to hit your set.