Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 09:50 PM

Default AQo, TPTK vs a flop 3bet

BB had just sat down and this was the first hand he had played, so I had no reads on him. He had waited for the BB since MP, however, and that usually seems to be an indicator of at least some competence.

I was quite surprised by the flop 3bet, as I had put him on a weaker Q when he lead out the flop, since 43, 56, Q4, Q3 didn't seem very likely hands to call a preflop raise, even from the big blind. I wasn't sure I was beat, so I went into call-down mode. Is this weak? Thanks!

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.25 BB
Old 01-10-2005, 10:03 PM

Default Re: AQo, TPTK vs a flop 3bet

This is one of those questions that self answers, does it not? True, you could not really have a read on him since he just sat down, but considering the only hand he could hold that could beat you was KK, or AA or QQ (highly improbable). The probability of these hands should have made you raise. Remember, it is still gambling and you're not always going to have the nuts, so you need to maximize your pot odds when the likihood is that you'll win.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is one of those questions that self answers, does it not? True, you could not really have a read on him since he just sat down, but considering the only hand he could hold that could beat you was KK, or AA or QQ (highly improbable). The probability of these hands should have made you raise. Remember, it is still gambling and you're not always going to have the nuts, so you need to maximize your pot odds when the likihood is that you'll win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or 33 or 44 or Q3 or Q4 or 34
Old 01-10-2005, 10:37 PM

I'll usually cap the flop with a hand like this and slow down if villain bets into me on the turn.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:28 PM

I'm throwing in another raise for good measure. Capping the flop is the safe, less risky play. Raising the river is the line I would take sometimes and I call a 3-bet.

Brad