Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 06:36 AM

Default am I a loser or what

I found using the book's advice (small stakes hold em) I hardly ever see the flop.

And when I do see the flop, I just waste all my money on draws, get reraised, and lose my money.

What am I doing wrong? I feel incompetant. I've lost 3 nights in a row. What are the most common mistakes?

I'm no beginner to poker, just to this strategy.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:40 AM

Default Re: am I a loser or what

1) Don't worry about such a short term as 3 days worth of play unless you are talking 8 tabling 12-16 hours day and are talking 10k hands or so.

2) Post some hands where you were drawing and felt you might have been playing the draw wrong or post some pre-flop hand questions where you felt a call might be a good play but following a book's advise you folded. You will get lots of responses and it will help you understand if it is variance or play style.

Vern
Old 01-10-2005, 06:40 AM

I've had losing streaks that lasted a pretty nice time, don' t worry about them, focus on your decisions! You have to analyze your game. Post hands here, sharpen your reads. It takes practice, like everything else. You wont be a Small Stakes Pro overnight..

Good Luck
Old 01-10-2005, 07:40 AM

I pretty much follow the tight table suggestions of SSHE and have a VPip of about 18%. When you add in the BB hands I get to play "free", I see over 20% of flops. If your experience is a lot less than this, then you must be on a run of bad cards.

As for your draws, when you run bad it feels like you are spewing chips. You must tell yourself that even if your last ten flush draws have gone down, it is still 4.2:1 to hit it on the eleventh.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:29 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
I found using the book's advice (small stakes hold em) I hardly ever see the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great, isn't it? Especially the (live) nights where you sit for 2+ hours not entering a pot. Only to get snapped the one time you finally do get to play. Then the foldfest continues for another 2 hours.

Hint: Learn how to watch hands you're not involved in. This isn't as easy as it sounds.

[ QUOTE ]
And when I do see the flop, I just waste all my money on draws, get reraised, and lose my money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Post some hands so they can see if you're doing this right.

[ QUOTE ]
I've lost 3 nights in a row.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is nothing. It gets much, much.... ... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] ..much worse.

[ QUOTE ]
What are the most common mistakes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinking that poker is easy. That you get to play alot of hands when much of 'outplaying' your opponents is in the form of folding. Much too general of a question to answer. Get involved in the forum. You're game will get better.

[ QUOTE ]
What am I doing wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably alot, maybe nothing. Post some hands and/or compare your thinking with others who respond to other posted hands.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm no beginner to poker, just to this strategy

[/ QUOTE ]

One wonders what your old strategy was. Especially if you think this is too tight preflop and that 3 losing nights is horrendous.

You'll improve in 2 months just by getting actively involved here. You will get brutal honesty thrown your way, so be prepared.

b
Old 01-10-2005, 08:36 AM

3 sessions is nooottthhhiiiinnnngggg.
1. Patience
2. Drawing is great! If you have the pot odds/impiled odds to do it and you're drawing to a nutoid hand.
3. It's LLHE. You will get outdrawn by worse hands. Refine your card reading skills.
4. When the flop hits your hand, think "MINE" and attack until you have reason to think differently.
5. If you miss the flop and there's action, fold. It's hit somebody.
6. Patience
Old 01-10-2005, 08:42 AM

Friend once told me "If your feel like your hardley playing, your playing good poker".
Old 01-10-2005, 10:34 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

try moving down for a couple of sessions and trying it out. it's a tough strategy to get accustomed to. after the book came out, there were a million posts just like yours, so don't think you're alone here. you're probably running bad in addition to misunderstanding some things. keep studying it and playing. eventually it'll just click
Old 01-10-2005, 11:16 PM

Thank you all for your support! I'll look out for hands that I think I may have played poorly (or well) and post them.

It's just so frustrating constantly getting mediocre unplayable hands. I feel like I'm never going to make money! I guess this is a test of patience, and I believe that once I get up to $1/2, 2/4, and 3/6, things will get more interesting.

Again, thanks! I look forward to being a part of this forum.