Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2005, 02:15 AM

Default Commerce during the week?

How's the action at Commerce during the week? Are some days busier than others? I plan on making a trip during the week, are there mostly regulars there, or can I expect some loose soft action?
Old 01-10-2005, 02:24 AM

Default Re: Commerce during the week?

What stakes? Day or night?
Old 01-10-2005, 02:24 AM

What do you play?
Old 01-10-2005, 02:35 AM

Sorry, was mainly interested in NLHE 100-200 buy-in. how's that game?
Old 01-10-2005, 02:45 AM

Always lots of tables - I got there on New Year's Day at 5:30 AM, and the big NL game that I usually play wasn't even running, so I went to the 100s & 200s and they had like 12 tables going - So, to answer your quaestion - It's always rocking - and the games are incredibly soft - Day or Night, Weekdays or Weekends - It's LA, it doesn't matter.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:09 AM

What on earth do these people do if they're there on a weekday afternoon and they're not making their money at the poker table?

I only ask because in the few times I've been to Vegas to play 15/30 and up, the games have seemed noticeably tougher on weekday mornings/afternoons. I had assumed that would be the case in LA. (With that said, I play all the time at Commerce and HP and am quite happy with the play I see from at least 80% of the table each and every time.)
Old 01-10-2005, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Always lots of tables - I got there on New Year's Day at 5:30 AM, and the big NL game that I usually play wasn't even running, so I went to the 100s & 200s and they had like 12 tables going - So, to answer your quaestion - It's always rocking - and the games are incredibly soft - Day or Night, Weekdays or Weekends - It's LA, it doesn't matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was there the day before new years and they said they were running 27 $100 and 200$ no limit games. I think 10 $100 and 17 $200.
The place is amazing.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What on earth do these people do if they're there on a weekday afternoon and they're not making their money at the poker table?

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw info about this in one of Lou Krieger's books, he calls them "trust fund pros" in LA a lot of people have a higher expendable income than in other parts of the country, some dont even work, if you play long enough even if your not good, you will remember those wins andd many of these people think they beat the game, so they play often, and not everyone who plays during the day doesn't work. I used to play all day long on Tuesdays because it was one of my days off. Poker also attracts many people who work in jobs that are 24 hour businesses(police, security, hospitality, etc) places that neverclose, so someone will always be working not necessarrily at the 9-5 most people recognize with.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:20 AM

Make no mistake though, that the games are MUCH easier at night, especially on weekends.

In fact, I very much recommend against playing any limit game during the day at Commerce. $15-30 and higher will be tough to beat for much and at the lower limits, while the players are bad, they do not play bad enough to create the necessary volume to beat the rake.

I can't speak so much for no limit, except to say that all you need is one or two bad players in a no limit game to make it acceptable. Really though, if you are playing daytime, you may want to consider entering a tournament instead.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the reply's everyone. I definatly did not plan on going during the day. I know the games are softest on the weekends, especially at night. I guess I wasnt being very specific =P. I plan on making the trip one of these nights this week, perhaps after the passes. I would have made the trip this past weekend, but the weather + the traffic, forget about it!