Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What's hero's action?
Call. Pot is big, you've only got to be correct 7% of the time. 22 30.14%
Fold. 51 69.86%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2005, 10:20 PM

Default Question about Cowboys

In a No-Limit Cash game, how big of a bet would it take for you to lay down KK preflop?

edit: It seemed obvious at first, but you may assume no other callers and no other significant bets.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Question about Cowboys

idk...to lay down KK it would take a hell of a read on opponent to lay down KK because i wouldny lay it down to AA. so they can bet w/e they have preflop and unless i really feel they have AA i wont lay it down...this is of course in a NL Cash game..tourney has other factors you have to consider
Old 01-10-2005, 12:37 AM

Why would you fold KK on the preflop at all, regardless of the betting? AA has only a slightly higher probability of winning, so if I 'read' the other player as having the bullets, I still wouldn't fold. Any other pair could hit a set, but so what? So could the KK. I'd raise at least 4x the blind, if the other player wanted to raise, I'd call.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AA has only a slightly higher probability of winning, so if I 'read' the other player as having the bullets, I still wouldn't fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Please explain.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AA has only a slightly higher probability of winning,

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, only if they are up against seperate random hands. Heads up, AAvsKK, AA is roughly a 4-1 favorite.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:38 AM

They need a new QB.

-Michael
Old 01-10-2005, 05:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They need a new QB.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:29 AM

You don't want KK up against AA. It's not just a slight underdog [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

This is going to depend almost entirely upon the player. And you need to make sure you are pretty damn certain before you lay down the kings. A tight player who very rarely goes big pre-flop, and usually needs kings or aces to go this big, is something you're going to need to think on.

The most important thing to realize here, in reference to the poll, is that it always needs to be a combination of the size of the bet and the tendencies of the player that determine these things. The bet size alone doesn't really tell us much.

KC
http://kingcobrapoker.com
Old 01-10-2005, 08:36 AM

I think if you don't call here it's >99% likely it's because you're playing too high for your bankroll and <1% likely because you've got a genuinely good read.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:43 PM

Well, I guess I messed that one up. After reading the other posts, I sat down with my calculator and soon realized that I was mathematically incorrect. By my math, the AA will win over the KK about 60-80% of the time (depends on number of other players, etc). Ok, so this is more than a "slightly" higher probability, but I stand by the rest of my post. Even if I read my opponent and put them on AA, I'm still going to go heads up with them. I suppose that there are people out there that "gamble" based ENTIRELY on mathematical odds, I'm just not one of them. Yes, sometimes I lose (show me someone that's never lost). I hope that this "explains" my rationale. [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]