Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2005, 06:21 PM

Default Clarify betting structure please, for a new-newbie

I am very new to hold 'em, having only played against computer players on some downloaded software, but yet I am hosting a poker night for friends this week. I've read a few books and understand some of the underlying concepts, but there are a few of the details that I can't quite seem to find answered to my satisfaction.

The first is around the limit betting structure. Using 2/4 as an example, after the blinds have been placed and the hole cards are dealt, the player to the left of the big blind had the option to fold, call, or raise. In this case, assuming a 3 raise limit, can this player only raise to 4 or can the raise be a greater amount? All the rules I see only state that raises must be in multiples of the limit, but aren't more specific than that. If someone can clarify this for me, I will be most appreciative. My assumption is that the player can only raise to 4 and not to 6, 8, 10, or higher, but I have not seen that spelled out specifically. Basically, I don't want to look like an idiot as I host my first game.

Second, I assume that the deck is reshuffled after each hand as I have seen no mention of noting what cards have already been shown when deciding how to play a hand.

Otherwise, everything seems clear and I'm all set. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:45 PM

Default Re: Clarify betting structure please, for a new-newbie

In 2/4 the small blind is 1, big blind is 2. First raise will be to a total of four, then second would be to 6 etc., third to 8. Same on flop, then turn and river would be 4, 8, 12, 16.

Good luck!
Old 01-09-2005, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Clarify betting structure please, for a new-newbie

If you're hosting a home game you might want to refer to this site:
http://www.homepokertourney.com/rules_roberts.htm