Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2005, 02:43 PM

Default 5-10 NL short handed

New to NL game, and just looking for any input.I have no reads on the players as I just sat in the game. The only additional info i have is this, my first hand in big blind i had ak, button min raised to 20$ sb called i re raised to pot, both folded. Whatever that is worth. Then i folded for about 5 or 6 hands, and picked up kq on the button. I should also add it is SH game only 3 players inlcuding myself.

hero has $520 and k [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on button. sb has $510, bb has $314
hero raises to 35$, SB calls, bb calls,

flop is j [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] X [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], hero bets pot (104$) on flop sb folds, bb goes all in for 279$

I am putting him on a flush draw, but am not ruling out qj, or aq.

I called the bet after thinking it over. One of the reasons beside the fact I thought my hand was good was the fact i had the raiser covered.

Will post results after some comments
Old 01-09-2005, 02:47 PM

Default Re: 5-10 NL short handed

pretty easy call IMO.

hope it works out.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I called the bet after thinking it over. One of the reasons beside the fact I thought my hand was good was the fact i had the raiser covered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dangerous thinking here, IMO. You have him covered, but don't use this to convince yourself that you need to call here. He has ~60% of your stack -- I don't think that's short enough to justify loose calls. This isn't a tournament.. +EV is +EV, and -EV is -EV, regardless of stack size. In this situation, the only short-stack consideration (besides the size of the bet) I use is how likely this player is to make a desparation push.

That being said, this is why I usually play much tighter when I first sit down to a table. A big pot with TP2K on the 5th or 6th hand against unknown players is a nightmare.

Could he have a low set? (XXX, as your board reads. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

I hope it worked out.
-DB
Old 01-09-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Re: 5-10 NL short handed (results)

As I mentioned I called the bet, my fist instinct was that he had a flush draw, of course that is a great hand to put him on if I want to call his bet ha ha. Anyhow I agree with evertying u said, DB, the fact that he did have a signifigant stack and the fact that i really did not know this player. But I went with my original thought and in this case I was right. As it worked out he had 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], turn and river were both bricks, and I broke him , game ended a few hands later.
Old 01-09-2005, 05:01 PM

If I'm villain, I'm probably going to just call your flop bet with a monster here. It's the only way I'm going to get your stack if you haven't got anything yet. If you have a hand, it's all going in eventually anyway, so why force it?

So I would put villain on something other than a monster made hand, and I would call.
Old 01-09-2005, 07:52 PM

this is a bad potsized bet on the flop. many players just bet potsized bets out of nature without really considering the implications. this bet commits your stack to the pot if villain comes over the top of you. if you dont feel comfortable committing your chips with this flop then you need to bet less.